Inlet/Outlet Control Problems

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owillis28

Reaction score
Anybody have any problems dealing with finding the invert elevation on a storm pipe under a roadway that also includes freeboard elevation, top of curb elevations, etc.?

Please post if you have any problem solving techniques, step-by-step methods, etc?

Thanks in advance!

owillis

I found a problem:

A culvert at a new roadway crossing must be designed to pass the 25-year flood. Hydrologic analysis indicates a peak flow rate of 200 ft³/s. Use the following site information:

Elevation at Culvert Face: 100 ft

Natural Stream Bed Slope: 1 percent = 0.01 ft/ft

Tailwater for 25-Year Flood: 3.5 ft

Approximate Culvert Length: 200 ft

Shoulder Elevation: 110 ft

Design a circular pipe culvert for this site. Consider the use of a corrugated metal pipe with standard 2-2/3 by 1/2 in corrugations and beveled edges and concrete pipe with a groove end. Base the design headwater on the shoulder elevation with a two ft freeboard (elevation 108.0 ft). Set the inlet invert at the natural streambed elevation (no FALL).

JR

Thanks JR.

I will take a look on my lunch hour. Hope to post an answer soon after or later on this evening.

Looks like a great question.

I so want to rock this exam! :bio:

owillis

I found a problem:
A culvert at a new roadway crossing must be designed to pass the 25-year flood. Hydrologic analysis indicates a peak flow rate of 200 ft³/s. Use the following site information:

Elevation at Culvert Face: 100 ft

Natural Stream Bed Slope: 1 percent = 0.01 ft/ft

Tailwater for 25-Year Flood: 3.5 ft

Approximate Culvert Length: 200 ft

Shoulder Elevation: 110 ft

Design a circular pipe culvert for this site. Consider the use of a corrugated metal pipe with standard 2-2/3 by 1/2 in corrugations and beveled edges and concrete pipe with a groove end. Base the design headwater on the shoulder elevation with a two ft freeboard (elevation 108.0 ft). Set the inlet invert at the natural streambed elevation (no FALL).

JR
No M/C's? JR!

For the answer (and a good reference) check out IlPadrino's PEnotes wiki REFERENCES PAGE and select Hydraulic Design of Culverts (FHWA-NHI-01-020) document under Water Resources.

The problem + solution is on Page 56 of the publication (Page 76 going by Adobe Acrobat Reader).

Regards,

JR

For the answer (and a good reference) check out IlPadrino's PEnotes wiki REFERENCES PAGE and select Hydraulic Design of Culverts (FHWA-NHI-01-020) document under Water Resources.
The problem + solution is on Page 56 of the publication (Page 76 going by Adobe Acrobat Reader).

Regards,

JR
That seems to be a very complete reference on culverts! Good stuff. Any recommendations for storm water systems?

Back