Illegal to pump your own gas in NJ & Oregon

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
I was listening to guys on the radio talk about a recent trip to Oregon and they said it's illegal to pump your own gas. Surely they were jesting! So I looked it up and yep... Also in NJ?

Really weird. The little research I did referenced that it was originally for safety purposes but now they are afraid to change the law (voters) over fear of putting 5,000 gas pump attendants out of work....

This really seems so strange to me and against how a free market is supposed to work.... I am too impatient sometimes to even get gas and would be absurdly agitated if I had to wait for someone to put gas in my car...

I accidentally tried pumping my own gas in Oregon. Couldn't do it if I tried, pumps had an attendant PIN/key code just to activate the pumps. Stupid.

Yeah, I knew about Jersey for years, since I'd drive through there on my way from VA to visit wife's folks in CT. But only found out about OR a couple years ago when we went there on a weekend from San Fran. Pretty stupid honestly. And the gas attendants in Jersey are not the types I want hanging out by my window taking my credit card.

Yeah, I knew about Jersey for years, since I'd drive through there on my way from VA to visit wife's folks in CT. But only found out about OR a couple years ago when we went there on a weekend from San Fran. Pretty stupid honestly. And the gas attendants in all residents of Jersey are not the types I want hanging out by my window taking my credit card.

Fixed. Right, NJ Mike?

Yeah, I knew about Jersey for years, since I'd drive through there on my way from VA to visit wife's folks in CT. But only found out about OR a couple years ago when we went there on a weekend from San Fran. Pretty stupid honestly. And the gas attendants in all residents of Jersey are not the types I want hanging out by my window taking my credit card.

Fixed. Right, NJ Mike?
well, most of us any way.

a5560b98f7282249d66f464c144ff140.jpg

snj-8.gif

^ isn't one of those douche bags from RI?

:facepalm:

Yeah, sorry about that. NJ really doesn't need help looking bad.

How do they record your odometer? Is it the honesty policy or do you have to come get it certified

I believe most newer cars actually have built in GPS units in them. I know my 2011 Fusion has one in it.

index.jpg

I have to say that's a good start in getting these electronic and other hybrid vehicles to "pay there fair share" in terms of road & bridge maintenance!

Back