Ideas for Topics for Engineers Week Meeting

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudpuppy

Reaction score
I've been tasked with setting up the engineer's week meeting of my local chapter of the Michigan Society of Professional Engineers. I have a couple ideas for speakers but I'd love to hear what other engineers would like to hear about. Any thoughts?

Topics for recent meetings have been the Higgs Boson (presented by a CERN employee), fracking (presented by state regulators), engineers without borders, the local water treatment plant, etc.

Difficulties in the construction of new nuclear facilities (working with antiquated codes, cost overruns, regulatory compliance issues, "interpretation" of requirements, etc.) Seemed to be a hot item at a number of meetings I've attended.

You are in Michigan. Something about fiber composites and new cars, how the fiber composites reduce weight and increase strength-- sustainability. Maybe something on engineering improvements in the auto industry, green technology.

How to pack the most pens into a pocket protector?

(PowerPoint image)

Transition to the mentorship of young Professional Engineers by those that have had some good life lessons.

(I alway like to hear good stories from those that know more about engineering than myself)

Learning how to represent our profession with dignity and class is always a good thing too. (Half the time I'm bs'ing my way through...)

Unwillingness of the typical American citizen to fund infrastructure improvements and how to change their mindset
It isn't American unwillingnes, it is the politicians. There is political motivation to build stuff because it gets named, you have ground breaking ceremonies and ribbon cutting ceremonies. The politicians get to get their names and faces in the paper for free. None of that exists for maintenance.

The Road Guy Bridge gets a lot more press than the Road Guy pothole filling on I-75.

Last edited by a moderator:
A panel discussion of what to have for lunch during the PE exam?

I was an officer in an ASCE chapter a few years ago and I got tasked with organizing meetings now and again. Picking out the venue, menu, speaker, etc.

Coming up with a topic and finding a speaker was a bitch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to have a conversation on the 'Green Movement' and who is really pushing/profiting in the end. Make Engineers more aware of who is really paying for the new solar fields springing up everywhere, how developers actually make money in the end when a wind turbine gets erected (not from reduced energy consumption either). Follow the "environmental credits" all the way from distribution by the government to the final sale to coal burning companies.

Engineers need to understand the ridiculousness of this whole process and how the higher-ups are selling these concepts. Discuss the people who started the 'Green Movement' and how those folks run companies that sell their services to the laws they enact.

How about succession planning in engineering? Many industries are chock full of tremendous age gaps between senior and junior employees, with nothing to fit in between. I've noticed that a lot of construction companies have come to that realization and taken an "oh shit" approach to finding 5-10 year experienced engineers.

I can do some sort of presentation.

I like to talk about the new findings of rods going into butt joints.

I would love to have a conversation on the 'Green Movement' and who is really pushing/profiting in the end. Make Engineers more aware of who is really paying for the new solar fields springing up everywhere, how developers actually make money in the end when a wind turbine gets erected (not from reduced energy consumption either). Follow the "environmental credits" all the way from distribution by the government to the final sale to coal burning companies.

Engineers need to understand the ridiculousness of this whole process and how the higher-ups are selling these concepts. Discuss the people who started the 'Green Movement' and how those folks run companies that sell their services to the laws they enact.

Hold up here ... let’s not lump all "green" movements into conspiracy theory territory. If you want to talk about light bulbs, solar, wind farms, new coal regulations and the like ... I am with you; that is all about profit for someone else.

I don’t think anyone would question the benefits of geo-thermal heating/cooling. Other concepts on the civil engineering side such as low-impact development, vegetated filters, riparian buffers, porous pavements, vegetated roofs, cisterns etc are all “green” technologies and movements.

Before these “rabblers” (http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/153618/rabble-rabble-rabble) start creating a ruckus … let’s not confuse the general public.

Now LEED certification ... there is the racket.

As a welding engineer, I whole-heartedly endorse this statement.

How about succession planning in engineering? Many industries are chock full of tremendous age gaps between senior and junior employees, with nothing to fit in between. I've noticed that a lot of construction companies have come to that realization and taken an "oh shit" approach to finding 5-10 year experienced engineers.
I've noticed this at various places. It's all entry levels and graybeards. Where are all the mid-level folks?

Maybe you can take a few minutes to discuss the importance of putting a layer of skim coat on your member for added protection against rotting.

Back