I don't understand????

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakersFreak

Reaction score
I got about a 70% on the PE 8-hour exam, scoring 65% in the morning and 75% in the afternoon in geotech! How did I not pass????????????????????????????????????????

I got about a 70% on the PE 8-hour exam, scoring 65% in the morning and 75% in the afternoon in geotech! How did I not pass????????????????????????????????????????
Sorry to hear that,

I think anecdotal evidence shows the raw pass score is often around 70%, and may even be slightly more. Plus the diagnostics may be off a percent point or so.

So you probably barely missed it.

Just my opinion, but I don't think it's a straight up score. Some questions are obviously harder than others so they may count more than the easier ones. I mean, a few questions I was surprised to even see some of the questions on the test. I was surprised at how hard some were.

Just my opinion, but I don't think it's a straight up score. Some questions are obviously harder than others so they may count more than the easier ones. I mean, a few questions I was surprised to even see some of the questions on the test. I was surprised at how hard some were.
Nope... they all count the same. That's why it pays to study smarter not harder. There are a some "give me's" and some "no way I'm going to get this one right". But most are in the middle.

Not sure what you mean by "about" but as I'm sure you know, one question is the difference between pass and fail. How are you getting 65% and 75%? Care to post your diagnostics?

Not sure what you mean by "about" but as I'm sure you know, one question is the difference between pass and fail. How are you getting 65% and 75%? Care to post your diagnostics?

[/quote

averages are actually little less than what I originally thought.

here's my breakdown.

morning>

cons 63

geo 80

structu 75

trans 65

enviro 45

afternoon>

subsurface explor 75

eng prop of soils 80

soil mech 65

earthquake eng 50

earth struct 75

shallow fndn 70

earth ret structures 83

deep fndn 100

other topics 60

Here's your breakdown:

morning>

cons 63 5/8

geo 80 6/8

structu 75 6/8

trans 65 5/8

enviro 45 4/8

afternoon>

subsurface explor 75 2/3

eng prop of soils 80 4/5

soil mech 65 3/5

earthquake eng 50 1/2

earth struct 75 3/4

shallow fndn 70 4/6

earth ret structures 83 5/6

deep fndn 100 4/4

other topics 60 3/5

Total= 55/80

That is right around 70%. I would have thought that you had passed. Many people must have gotten some really good scores this time around.

That's a heart-breaker. Stick with it. You should have it without a doubt next time. Good luck.

Total= 55/80
That is right around 70%. I would have thought that you had passed. Many people must have gotten some really good scores this time around.
Ouch! That's one question south of 70%. I don't think anyone here has ever posted a fail diagnostic with 56/80. Too bad no one here has started a database of failure scores by discipline and depth... any volunteers to weed through the archives?

LakersFreak: Don't get discouraged - with a little extra effort or a little better strategy you are sure to pass the next time around! Keep smiling...

FYI

i got exact same score last spring and didnt pass . . . .

i figured i needed ONE MORE question to pass . . . .

IT STINKS

55/80 = 68.75%

THERE COULDN'T have been ANY KIND OF CURVE AT ALL!!

FYI
i got exact same score last spring and didnt pass . . . .

i figured i needed ONE MORE question to pass . . . .

IT STINKS

55/80 = 68.75%

THERE COULDN'T have been ANY KIND OF CURVE AT ALL!!
From NCEES website:

Are the exams graded on a curve? Is there a target pass rate?No. NCEES scores each exam based on its own merits with no regard for a predetermined percentage of examinees that should pass or fail. All exams are scored the same way.

From NCEES website:
There isn't a curve (certainly not one that adjusts exam-to-exam) but as I understand it, there could be some questions removed from consideration on any given exam due to answer anomalies. Of course, that only makes sense if each exam uses some new (untested) questions...

There isn't a curve (certainly not one that adjusts exam-to-exam) but as I understand it, there could be some questions removed from consideration on any given exam due to answer anomalies. Of course, that only makes sense if each exam uses some new (untested) questions...
so as in the case of my April exam . . . . they didnt even throw out ONE question!!

DAMN!!

56/80 or bust

^^ I think I hear the new motto of the NCEES PE exams.

"56/80 or bust!!"

so as in the case of my April exam . . . . they didnt even throw out ONE question!!
DAMN!!

56/80 or bust
Well, maybe the cut score is higher than 70 (a new change maybe). I think all we know is that no one had a diagnostic that showed a fail with 70%.

Back