hydrology/Hydraulic Reference

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fudgey

Master of Disaster
Reaction score
So i dont really have a good reference for hydraulics and its killing me. I dont really have a good book from college just a couple chapters in a book mostly on treatment. The stuff in the Cerm wasn't enough to cut it last time so i need to get a text book to read. I can figure out the basic stuff and the concepts but i get killed when I try to do the problems. Mostly hydrology and water supply stuff. I got a good treatment book so I am OK there.

Can someone help me pick out a good reference? Something with problems at the end of the chapter hopefully so I can practice more. Thanks!

Schaum's Series on Hydraulics has lots of problems and solution, and it's cheap too. If u want more practice, order the Schaum's Series 2,500 Hydraulics Problems book.

Kings Handbook of Hydraulics

ISBN-13: 978-0070072473

Has a lot of concepts etc. ton's of tables etc. Not many problems if any. Although definitely worth a look.

Last edited:
I agree with vmi2000 - the Brater & King text is good. Just make sure it is the text that provides ENGLISH units (I borrowed one and it was metric units). I am also partial to Hydrology & Hydraulic Systems, Ram S. Gupta (ISBN 0881338656). It is laid out very nicely and covers A LOT of the material that would likely show up on the exam. It has a good mix of theory and application and provides A LOT Of good problems. Lastly, I would recommend the Chelapati workbook for Water Resources. Another excellent reference for tables, charts, and figures and a good mix of problems.

Good luck!

JR

^^^I agree with JR on this one, and I got stuck with the stupid metric units Brater & King text, but it still gave me some insight.

Back