GMAT

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

udpolo15

Reaction score
Anybody have experience with GMAT? I am heading back for my MBA and they won't accept the GRE which I took for my Masters. How much study time needs to go into it? I need a 500 and I am looking to take it in late October. Any thoughts/suggestions.

I took both the GMAT and GRE awhile back and thought the GMAT was easier (I also did better). Actually I did mediocre on the GRE and really well on the GMAT, so there is some evidence the GMAT was easier, at least for me. If you are reasonable with SAT type exams then a 500 shouldn't be too tough to get. I would pick up a handbook and memorize some words, do a little practice. I don't think the math should be any problem. It's not like a PE exam unless you need a huge score.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took both the GMAT and GRE awhile back and thought the GMAT was easier (I also did better). Actually I did mediocre on the GRE and really well on the GMAT, so there is some evidence the GMAT was easier, at least for me. If you are reasonable with SAT type exams then a 500 shouldn't be too tough to get. I would pick up a handbook and memorize some words, do a little practice. I don't think the math should be any problem. It's not like a PE exam unless you need a huge score.
Thanks. That is the kind of answer I was hoping for. I checked out amazon and looks like you can get a study book for under $20. I am also going try and get the school to accept my GRE score which was good. I have my engineering master from the same school so I hope they will be accommodating.

Thanks. That is the kind of answer I was hoping for. I checked out amazon and looks like you can get a study book for under $20. I am also going try and get the school to accept my GRE score which was good. I have my engineering master from the same school so I hope they will be accommodating.
Any other tips for the GMAT? I am looking to add an MBA while I am working on my Master of Science in Engineering Technology Management since the second half of my coursework for my MSETM degree. Another 15 hours would finish off an MBA as well. :) I might as well get both degrees (and they both will be totally online).

I will have to get my paperwork in before November 1 though.

Any suggestions on the applications for the MBA?

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked through a study book for the GMAT from Barnes'n'Nobles (or one of those bookstores)

Even though we, as engineers, may think were good at math, its a different kind that, I at least, hadnt done in several years, so it was good for me to work through some problems to get my brain in order for the exam.

I didnt have to submit anything out of the ordinary for the application, they just wanted the test scores and transcripts.

Back