Fuel-Cell Revolution: Can Toyota Save the Electric Car?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Soon there will be an electric car on the market that, believe it or not, works like a normal car. It will have a range of 600 kilometers (375 miles). Recharging it will take minutes, not hours. In fact, it won't even require an electrical outlet, because its fuel is hydrogen and it makes its own electricity. And, just as surprising, this car isn't the product of some bold startup company trying to secure venture capital -- but of the world's largest automaker.

At this year's Tokyo Motor Show in late November, Toyota will unveil a sedan that -- despite the company's traditionally mediocre design and the car's moderate total output of about 100 kilowatts -- is likely to attract attention. It will be the world's first series-produced fuel-cell car to be sold on the market. Toyota has announced that it will be available for purchase starting in 2015.

Much more at: http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/toyota-develops-new-fuel-cell-car-a-930834.html

I can't view the link at work. How does it "recharge"?

You just refill with hydrogen, but....

According to a report by the German Federal Environmental Agency, "a realistic expansion of renewable energy to the greatest extent possible will not result, by 2030, in a significant potential for surplus electricity" from solar, wind or biomass sources that could be used for hydrogen production. "This cannot be expected to be achieved on a large scale until at least 2050." A rejection of the environmental vision of the hydrogen car couldn't be put more clearly.

Forcing Change

This helps explain why there is so little interest in developing an infrastructure for this type of fuel. Germany has only 15 hydrogen fueling stations. And the recent announcement -- by an industry association affiliated with gas supplier Linde -- that this number will be increased to 400 stations by 2023 seems neither realistic nor environmentally desirable.

Toyota is aware of this. "We cannot solve these problems," says chief developer Saga. But, he adds, the carmaker must perform a pioneering role. According to Saga, it is Toyota's duty to offer a product that will make large-scale hydrogen production from solar electricity make sense in the first place. "Otherwise the change will never come."

There is a valuable idea in what he's saying, and it explains why the gasoline engine prevailed despite the fact that, at the time of its invention, hardly any oil had been discovered. It also explains why the electric car has been a failure. It is failing because it is an immature product, not because of a shortage of electrical outlets.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ yes I knew that, I was refering to the lack of H2 refueling stations and this article sort of points to the problem. I thought maybe they also found a way to get people to jump on the H2 refuealing infrastructure

^ yes I knew that, I was refering to the lack of H2 refueling stations and this article sort of points to the problem. I thought maybe they also found a way to get people to jump on the H2 refuealing infrastructure

I think everyone is relying on a 'if you build it, they will come' theory. Worked for the gas car and almost worked for the elctric in the early 1900s.

As vast as the infrastructure costs will be, I think not settling on H2 or fast recharge electric is hurting the alternate energy for cars development. No one knows which of these technologies, if either, will really become a player.

Back