Environmental PE Review

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fmullner

For anyone studying for the 100-question Environmental Exam, DO NOT buy the six-minute solutions for the Civil PE Environmental Problems. It is way too in-depth for what is on the exam and really only focuses on water.

You'll probably see this for sale sometime soon on the Yard Sale forum.

I did all the problems in the Six-Minute solutiosn book, too. I agree that it's not necessary if you're studying for the 100 question Enviro exam. But I wouldn't say it's irrelevant, and it was good practice. I only went through it because I had already finished up all the other P P I materials.

But, in retrospect, the week or so I spent on it would have probably been better spent just reading something, like the Environmental Law Handbook. Or whatever you feel your weak area is.

For anyone studying for the 100-question Environmental Exam, DO NOT buy the six-minute solutions for the Civil PE Environmental Problems. It is way too in-depth for what is on the exam and really only focuses on water.
You'll probably see this for sale sometime soon on the Yard Sale forum.
I'm taking the ENV afternoon session. What would you say is the best review book? I've completed the NCEES books. I did poorly on the biology section on the first try.

I don't know because I took the 100-question enviro exam, not the new civil/enviro/WR exam, but the general advice to follow is just to study up on the weaknesses you identified. If it's "biology" which I assume you mean wastewater microbiology (?), a goo approach would be to read up the appropriate chapters in a wastewater engineering book, for example, chapter 7 of Metcalf & Eddy's "Wastewater Engineering, Treatment & Reuse". Then try some more sample problems.

I'm taking the ENV afternoon session. What would you say is the best review book? I've completed the NCEES books. I did poorly on the biology section on the first try.
I previously took the Civil PE/Env Depth and actually score THE BEST on biology - always 88% or better.

Taking a look over the biology subjects presented in CERM 8th Ed, Chapter 27, it looks like they are looking at biolgical aspects as it relates to water quality. It has been *MY* experience that these questions click with me because my undergrad education is Env Engineering and also that I have done considerable work in the water quality aspects of natural water bodies.

If you are looking for a reference or text that would best deal with these subjects, my recommendation would be to find a text called, "Water Supply and Pollution Control" by Warren Viessman and Mark Hammer. I have the 5th edition, so it made sense for me to tote it along with me. This text covers water quality issues from a natural waters perspective better than most books, including Metcalf & Eddy.

I would recommend an alternate approach: try using Google to keyword search some topics to see if you can get some good materials. Key words to include in your search:

• water quality
  • natural waters
  • eutrophication
  • biological index
  • biochemical oxygen demand (BOD)
  • coliform bacteria
  • growth kinetics of pure bacterial cultures
  • Most Probable Number (MPN) method
  • algae
  • protozoans
  • bacteria
  • Streeter-Phelps Equation or Oxygen-Sag Curve
  • Phosphorous Removal
  • Nitrogen Removal
These are topics covered for 'biological' aspects in the Viessman & Hammer text. However, I think you can get the same information for FREE by querying those keywords AND obtaining information from EPA and other Environmental Protection Agency websites. Perhaps even a few academic websites as well.

That is my best recommendation for you!

Good luck!

JR

Back