Engineers Kicking It Old School ...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I posted a picture of my grandfather below - he was an electrical engineer in the USAF. The gadgetry you see behind him he put together himself. He was not a popular guy in the neighborhood - he killed everyone's TV reception when he was cranked up :true:

Two other intersting facts - he was color blind and didn't speak english fluently. Figure that one out :dunno:

JR

What did he speak fluently?

I am the first engineer in my family. I wish I had a picture of my grandfather, though. He wasn't an engineer, but he was a high school science teacher, band teacher, hardware store owner, and an engineer at heart. I could tell. He was largely responsible for me being interested in science - he taught me what atoms were before I was even in first grade. He was such a great guy. I named my son after him, and his middle name for his brother who was some sort of technical business guy, but not an engineer - he was a vice president of Duracel, for a while. He left me a Ham radio setup that looks a lot like the one in your picture. A whole box of slide rules, too. I have no idea how to operate any of that stuff.

My grandfather's son (my uncle) became an architect. Does that get me ejected from EB?

That an old ham set? My dad still uses the old Heathkit set he and my grandfather put together in the late 50s/early 60s. The linear died 15-20 years ago, so he lost a good bit of omph.

I posted a picture of my grandfather below - he was an electrical engineer in the USAF. The gadgetry you see behind him he put together himself. He was not a popular guy in the neighborhood - he killed everyone's TV reception when he was cranked up :true:
From the stories my Mom has told me, my grandfather was essentially an electronics engineer. His specialty was radio, which was obviously a lot bigger at the time than it is now. He didn't have any formal college background and was basically self taught. Worked for the Port Authority of NY. He was a pretty senior guy by the time he retired. She apparently has some pics of him looking at some radio antenna stuff in a semi-constructed world trade center, though I've never seen them.

I need to find the pictures of my grandfather from his days (45 years) at National Lead as a process chemist. He wanted to be an engineer, just couldn't afford to continue his studies at Drexel back in the late 1920's so he took a job as a process chemist. I have a number of his old books, work ID's, and his slide rule. I also have some pictures of him when he played semi-pro baseball (love those old uniforms).

Likewise, his brother in law (my Uncle Dunny) was a PE and a cost estimator like myself (seems to run in the family).

When I finally unpack all these boxes of mine, I will find those pictures.

-Ray

I also have some pictures of him when he played semi-pro baseball (love those old uniforms).
Uni Watch Blog - if you like sports unis, check that site out.

Likewise, his brother in law (my Uncle Dunny) was a PE and a cost estimator like myself (seems to run in the family).
I'm not the first in the family to go to college or even grad school, but am the first one who went into engineering. But the wife and her Dad are both engineers so I married into it.

Uni Watch Blog - if you like sports unis, check that site out.I'm not the first in the family to go to college or even grad school, but am the first one who went into engineering. But the wife and her Dad are both engineers so I married into it.

Awesome link...

I forgot to mention that my Uncle Dunny had only a HS diploma prior to getting his PE. Then again the rules were much different back then.

The rest of my ancestry was generally in the trades (electrician, dock builders, carpenters, steam fitters).

-Ray

Father's side of the family - farmers.

Mother's side of the family - farmers / factory workers.

I was the first kid in my family (including all grandparents, aunts, uncles, parents, cousins and siblings) to go to college.

Not a lot of engineering book types... but, I got into Mechanical engineering and always helped my dad work on the trucks / tractors. We "engineered" a lot of things when we didn't have money to buy parts.

Back