Engineering - No Women Allowed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeb6294

Reaction score
I just saw this when I was checking my mail on AOL...not sure sure if it is funny or depressing.

Is it impossible to believe that beautiful women can be successful engineers? It apparently was inconceivable to some employees at LinkedIn, the professional social network. As Internet news website Daily Dot reported, last month LinkedIn pulled recruiting ads depicting attractive female engineers, telling the advertiser to use images "related to the product" instead.

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2013/08/05/linkedin-bars-photo-attractive-engineer/?ncid=webmail5

We ARE hot.

That would be like saying to only use nerdy guys with pocket protectors and thick glasses.

If the ad depicted in the article is typical of the type of image used by the ad agency, I can see why LinkedIn made the decision that they did. At first blush it looks like a spammy glamour shot - who bares their shoulders in a professional setting? Would we take the ad seriously if it depicted a hunky male engineer wearing a muscle shirt? (personal note: I would sooo click that, but not because I thought it would help me advance my career)

*Edit* And no one mention that I also look topless have bare shoulders in my LinkedIn photo. That's irrelevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the ad depicted in the article is typical of the type of image used by the ad agency, I can see why LinkedIn made the decision that they did. At first blush it looks like a spammy glamour shot - who bares their shoulders in a professional setting? Would we take the ad seriously if it depicted a hunky male engineer wearing a muscle shirt? (personal note: I would sooo click that, but not because I thought it would help me advance my career)

*Edit* And no one mention that I also look topless have bare shoulders in my LinkedIn photo. That's irrelevant.

Going to check YMZ's Linkedin photo, brb.

Clearly they've never seen the Ladies of EB calendar.

You totally look topless!

I will say that we had an ad on here at one point that had all those people looking down in a circle and it was creepy.

Deleting LinkedIn photo now. I didn't realize it actually looked THAT bad. :(

Anyway, my point stands that the ad agency is blowing this out of proportion and making false accusations to get back at LinkedIn.

Don't delete! It looks like you're wearing one of those fancy halter tops, not that you're topless.

I look like kinda like a man, if it makes you feel better.

Absurd. Female engineers run the same gamut as any other group of women - maybe they lean more towards wearing glasses than is common, but that's pretty much the only significant characteristic appearance-wise. (Racially, I have yet to meet an Engineer - male or female - of African descent (My African-American coworker's of Dutch descent)).

Not to say I've met a lot of female engineers, mind. One coworker, two clients (Civil), one my old boss interviewed so he could say he didn't discriminate against women (newsflash: he did), and two in a class I took this year.

"the tech industry has historically suffered from a "little bit of a time warp" in embracing female workers"

Duh. That's why female engineers are almost always hawt. We have to be better and better looking...

Har har. I can see which of you perverts checked out my Linkedin page.

I look like kinda like a man, if it makes you feel better.
Not true! You look very pretty and professional in your photo.

Back