Ebola Information Released for Water and Wastewater Utilities

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt267 PE

"1000000 warning points" Club Member
Reaction score
For those in the water/wastewater industries:

http://www.tpomag.com/online_exclusives/2014/10/ebola_information_released_for_water_and_wastewater_utilities

Because of Ebola’s fragility when separated from its host, bodily fluids flushed by an infected person would not contaminate the water supply. Researchers believe Ebola survives in water for only a matter of minutes. This is because water does not provide the same environment as our bodily fluids, which have higher salt concentrations. Once in water, the host cell will take in water in an attempt to equalize the osmotic pressure, causing the cells to swell and burst, thus killing the virus.
Hopefully they're right.

Yes, probably very unlikely. But there is evidence that viral diseases such as polio and hepatitis are transmitted through (sewage) polluted water.

The rational side of me says "that makes sense" but the tin foil hat wearing part of me says "of course they are going to tell us that, just think of the panic it would cause if they said anything different".

:eek:hmy:

If they're wrong/lying, I'm going to want more than a tin foil hat to do field work.

I hope we can all travel to Dallas to piss on the grave of the SOB who brought this shit here one day..

was he buried or incinerated cremated?

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2014/09/12/346114454/how-do-you-catch-ebola-by-air-sweat-or-water

Can Ebola be spread through a drop of water or carried through the water system?

"[The virus] will not remain for a long time in the water," Gonzalez says. "It's not a very rich medium to protect the virus."

It's important, he adds, to remember that viruses aren't as resistant outside the body as bacteria are. Rather, they depend heavily on the cells of their host — animal or human — for survival.

In water, the Ebola virus would be deactivated in a matter of minutes, Schmaljohn says. That's because each Ebola virus is encased in an envelope taken from the outer surface, or membrane, of a host cell.

I need more assurances than these. I have done my own research (dangerous, I know) and just because a virus is enveloped, does not mean that it won't survive very long in water or the environment. There are other enveloped viruses (herpes being one) that have been shown to persist for days in water and sewage, according to a WHO document (look it up). Every virus is different in its ability to persist - there does not seem to be any general rule, other than yes, a non-enveloped virus does tend to persist longer than an enveloped virus, but that doesn't mean raw sewage is safe right outside the bowl. Unless these talking heads have actual survival data for Ebola Guinea (which I heard today it is now being called), then I think it's irresponsible to make such blanket statements based on nothing but conjecture centered on the general type of virus. Maybe there's more to it than that, but if so, they need to be more clear about it.

Further, I have heard through professional channels that current guidance is to disinfect within the toilet bowl with a strong bleach solution (0.5%) and hold it for a certain contact time (not sure on the time-temperature relation) prior to flushing. If you work in this industry, keep your eyes out for changing/new guidance. If there's anything to be learned from this outbreak so far, is that it is better to be safe than sorry.

I don't raw sewage right from the bowl will ever be considered safe.

Here are some additional articles concerning wastewater. They all seem to be saying the same thing and are all likely using the same sources. :dunno:

http://www.onsiteinstaller.com/blog/2014/10/has_the_ebola_scare_spread_to_the_septic_sector

Researchers believe that Ebola survives in water for only a matter of minutes. This is because water does not provide the same environment as our bodily fluids, which have higher salt concentrations.
They are not saying which "researchers" nor are they quoting any specific studies.

http://www.wrwa.org/ebola-in-drinking-water-and-wastewater-treatment/

Like the AIDS virus and SARS virus, Ebola is a very fragile organism and can only survive in a human body. All of the infections that have occurred in the US have been from contacting bodily fluids directly. The Ebola virus will only survive outside of the human body for a few minutes, which means that if the virus was to enter the waste stream it will die almost immediately. By using normal safety precautions around the wastewater plant, operators should not be exposed to any viable Ebola virus. As always care must be taken to avoid other infections, so continued use of gloves, safety glasses and lots of hand washing is recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:
TPO Magazine (the source of the article quoted at the head of this thread) is now stepping away from their initial report, but not retracting it. AWWA is reporting that they have questions, too, and that EPA and CDC are looking into it and will be issuing a joint statement soon.

From the TPO editor's blog:

We know you’re concerned, but it’s time to put Ebola into perspective.

Ebola is a horrible disease. Its arrival on this country’s shores is frightening and is a reason for deep concern for our health care system. Its spread must be prevented.

At the same time, sometimes fear can be worse than the disease. For example: Many people terrified about Ebola are not getting vaccinated against flu, which kills thousands of people every year. Ebola has killed just one person in the United States.

Many people terrified of Ebola are not getting recommended screenings for cancer, which is far more likely to kill them.

Of course, it’s difficult to be logical when we feel a threat from something as dreadful as Ebola that we perceive to be outside our ability to control. In such cases, we have a couple of basic choices. We can panic. Or we can step back, use our powers of reason, look at the facts as best we know them, and act accordingly in our best interests.
Since the Ebola stories broke, we’ve heard operators raise concerns about Ebola in wastewater. Of course, wastewater is known to carry many pathogens that are more contagious than Ebola.

Still, these operators were concerned about whether they might be at risk of getting the disease through contact with wastewater in their facilities. The first such call to TPO magazine came last week from an operator in Albion, Mich.

We’re certainly not going to take lightly a concern such as that from one of our readers. So, rather than simply tell him, “We don’t know the answer,” we went looking for information. A couple of days later, thanks to help from contacts in the industry, we published this item on our website and pushed it out through our email and social media channels.

As I write this, that item still constitutes the best information on the question that has been made available — it came from the Water Environment Research Foundation. Meanwhile, we are told, the U.S. EPA and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are working on a joint statement. The essence of our online article is that scientists say Ebola is not a waterborne illness. Spokespeople for the CDC, the World Health Organization and other authorities have said repeatedly that Ebola is spread only through direct contact with the bodily fluids of an infected person.

Where’s the guarantee?
And still operators send us questions. How great is the risk of catching Ebola from wastewater? Could Ebola infect sewer rats which then spread the disease to people? Can you guarantee 100 percent that operators are safe?

Such questions of course are beyond my expertise. I am certainly not about to dismiss them since I am not the one facing whatever potential threat there may or may not be. I don’t work in treatment plants — I only write about them. So we continue to reach out to authorities looking for the most definitive information we can find. And when we do find it, we will pass it along right away through our online channels.

In the meantime, panic should not be an option. Here is an example of how concern can escalate. I received one message this morning suggesting we take down the article mentioned above. Why? Because is “doesn’t contain any facts, nor does it reference any.”

The commenter went on to report on a call from a small hospital where his company operates an on-site wastewater treatment plant. The hospital had a patient with Ebola-like symptoms, though it turned out the person did not have the disease. A hospital spokesperson wanted to know what to do if another patient came in with similar systems.

The commenter’s response: “Let us know ASAP and we will vacate the facility.” The hospital spokesperson said that was reasonable given that our article said the virus can survive in water for minutes, long enough for vomit or feces from a patient to reach the treatment plant.

That’s a concern I can understand, though I’m not qualified to judge its legitimacy. The commenter went on to question the safety of people working in pump stations, on sewer lines, or in treatment plants immediately next to hospitals and said he would not expose himself or his people to the risk of Ebola “until and unless it is confirmed as non-transmittable via wastewater.”

What proof does it take?
All right then, what exactly does “immediately next to” mean? And what exactly constitutes “confirmed as non-transmittable”? If we let panic take over, do we get to where treatment plant operators in any community with a hospital treating Ebola patients want to vacate their posts?

Perhaps that is stretching the point, but ultimately reason has to take over. I’m an expert neither in wastewater treatment nor in infectious diseases, but here are a few points that seem worth considering:

• We have been assured by the most knowledgeable people that Ebola is transmitted by direct contact with body fluids — not through the air, not by water, not by passing someone on the street. We received similar assurances about the AIDS virus — that it is spread by highly specific mechanisms. Those assurances proved to be true.
  • Wastewater is loaded with pathogens that are known to survive in and be spread through water. Operators face exposure to these pathogens every day while taking normal precautions, such as wearing appropriate protective clothing and equipment. We do not see outbreaks of Giardia, cholera or other diseases among operators. Apparently, then, those daily protections work. Would they not also work against a disease that scientists agree is NOT waterborne?
  • In the extreme (and one hopes highly unlikely) case of operators leaving their posts in fear of Ebola, what would happen if treatment plants ceased to function? One likely outcome would be an outbreak of waterborne diseases and untold misery.
My thoughts: wait until EPA and CDC issue their joint guidance before speculating too much. I agree that the original response by both WERF and CDC was short on "fact" and long on assumptions. I also agree that there is an excellent history of wastewater workers being protected by current PPE and countermeasures. But I don't agree that someone can cite the lack of sewer-transmitted AIDS or cholera outbreaks as their justification in this matter, without doing some research that is specific to the Ebola virus. AIDS patients don't bleed out into the toilet. Cholera is only in sewage if there are people that are sick with it, and we generally don't have cholera in the US population these days. Specific research into Ebola virus survival and transmission in sewage is (hopefully) being done now, and then we will know more.

Another (and perhaps more professional) update from WaterReuse Association:

http://www.watereuse.org/node/3461

CDC Preparing Ebola Guidance for Wastewater Sector Workers

To address the concerns and questions from the water sector, many water and public health organizations, including the WateReuse Association and Research Foundation, have been seeking reliable and credible information on Ebola. While currently there is limited data on the fate and transport of Ebola in wastewater collection systems, developing protective precautions is prudent. To that end, these organizations have been in contact and conversation with appropriate federal agencies on the issue of wastewater worker safety and the inactivation of Ebola by wastewater treatment processes.

During a conference call, organized by the Water Environment Federation (Alexandria, VA.) on Oct. 16, a spokesman for the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) shared that CDC has prepared and is conducting an internal review of an interim guidance. The guidance, Interim Guidance for Workers Handling Untreated Sewage from Ebola Cases in the United States, will address basic hygiene practices and personal protective equipment (PPE) use and disposal actions that should be taken.

Specifically this guidance will provide guidance and protocols for

• workers who perform sewer maintenance,
  • construction workers who repair or replace live sewers,
  • plumbers, and
  • workers who clean portable toilets.
CDC stated that this review would be expedited and indicated that guidance could be released as soon as late October. As CDC is the lead federal agency for Ebola containment and prevention, the best ongoing resource for information is www.cdc.gov/ebola.

In the meantime, the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health has some general guidance available on workplace safety and health related to Ebola at www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/ebola.

WateReuse will communicate any updates as soon as CDC releases the guidance or any new information becomes available.

Back