easy bridge design question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deuce

Reaction score
So, I'm a buildings guy, but I am trying to get the basics of bridge nomenclature down for the test on the 23rd. The effective span of slabs, S, is described as the length between the supporting beam flange tips + the flange overhang.

Seems simple enough, but I've seen some references that take the "flange overhang" term as just being ONE of the two flanges, and others that use BOTH flanges in their computations.

e.g. -- the NCEES civil PE sample problems, structural #517, they include both flange overhangs for a total of 6" that they add on to the length between flange tips when finding S.

Then, Lindenburg's sample PE exam, structural #127, only uses one overhang length.

Any bridge people care to fill me in here? Thanks in advance.

So, I'm a buildings guy, but I am trying to get the basics of bridge nomenclature down for the test on the 23rd. The effective span of slabs, S, is described as the length between the supporting beam flange tips + the flange overhang.
Seems simple enough, but I've seen some references that take the "flange overhang" term as just being ONE of the two flanges, and others that use BOTH flanges in their computations.

e.g. -- the NCEES civil PE sample problems, structural #517, they include both flange overhangs for a total of 6" that they add on to the length between flange tips when finding S.

Then, Lindenburg's sample PE exam, structural #127, only uses one overhang length.

Any bridge people care to fill me in here? Thanks in advance.
The attached text taken from a Review book by Goswami

Back