Dodge Neon w/two stroke engine

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool article. I'm always (usually) in with new car tech, especially the kind that involves the drivetrain. However, when was that article written???

a mechanically-driven, centrifugal compressor, capable of spinning a compressor wheel at speeds of up to 1,400 revolutions per second, that could be used as a super-charger in four-stroke applications.
Turbos (more efficient) operate at 150k RPM (2500 revs per second).

Two-stroke engines have long been promising because of better fuel economy, fewer parts, better efficiency...
Really? More power, yes. Better fuel economy? Uuuuuh, no.

Cool article. I'm always (usually) in with new car tech, especially the kind that involves the drivetrain. However, when was that article written???

a mechanically-driven, centrifugal compressor, capable of spinning a compressor wheel at speeds of up to 1,400 revolutions per second, that could be used as a super-charger in four-stroke applications.

Turbos (more efficient) operate at 150k RPM (2500 revs per second).

Two-stroke engines have long been promising because of better fuel economy, fewer parts, better efficiency...

Really? More power, yes. Better fuel economy? Uuuuuh, no.

The program was started back in the early nineties, I believe. Back then, supercharging is preferred over turbocharging for two strokes, for scavenging, IIRC. Never got a good handle on why that is, though.

As for fuel economy, this was a direct injection engine a couple of decades before that became widespread, so there was a bit of a fuel efficiency benefit. There was a LOT of two stroke development going on in the early nineties, Orbital being the one I remember the most.

Back