Complex Imaginary Volume 4 Problem 67

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlospe

Reaction score
In this problem the full load amps of the 150hp, 460V, 3 phase motor is 180A per NEC.  But in the book they didn't multiply the 180x1.25 as required by NEC 430.22 to size branch circuit conductors so they selected the 4/0 AWG instead of the 300KCM that will require with the 1.25 multiplier.  Any ideas?

To expand more in my question, for a 180A load using NEC Table 310.15(B)(16) in the 60 degree column the required wire size is 4/0.  But for a motor of 180A load, 180x1.25 = 225A and using the same table and 60 degree column this will result in 300KCM wire size that has an ampacity of 240A.  I think complex imaginary has an error on this one. Anyone agrees? Thanks for any replies!

Could you post the full question? Typically you would use the 75 deg C column unless there is a reason to use to use 60 deg C.

Problem (67) Acording to NEC2014. What is the minimum required size for the single insulated 60 degree, TW copper conductors feeding a 460V, 3-phase, AC motor rated 150-hp operating on continous duty?

-yes, typically the 75 degree ampacity can be used but in this problem the conductor is TW and the problem calls for the 60 degreee conductor.

I agree; if it wasn't continuous then 4/0 would work.

How old is your CI?

I don't remember seeing this problem in my book (I don't have it anymore) - perhaps they corrected it.

Yes, I already sent an email to complex imaginary for their review. Thanks!

carlospe: 

I can also verify that I believe CI got this one wrong. I came to the same answer you did, and scratched my head as to why CI listed it differently.

This says single insulated conductor would that be 310.15 (B)(17)? If so wouldnt that be 2/0 either way I agree the problem is wrong.

Question based on what I posted earlier. Would this not be using the single insulated table? If so wouldnt it be 2/0 at 60 degrees. 

Back