Civil - Environmental PM

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone take this in October? What did you think? Thanks
Brian
I didn't take Civil PE (Env Depth) this time, but I have taken in before. Three times to be exact.
2.gif

I have an environmental engineering education (BS) and I work in the environmental regulatory/remediation field; however, I found that my ability to quickly solve wastewater treatment problems was lacking based on my diagnostic scores. I decided to swtich to WR Depth for this past administration and passed. :BS:

Do you have any particular questions about Civil PE (Env Depth) ??

JR

I didn't take Civil PE (Env Depth) this time, but I have taken in before. Three times to be exact.
2.gif

I have an environmental engineering education (BS) and I work in the environmental regulatory/remediation field; however, I found that my ability to quickly solve wastewater treatment problems was lacking based on my diagnostic scores. I decided to swtich to WR Depth for this past administration and passed. :multiplespotting:

Do you have any particular questions about Civil PE (Env Depth) ??

JR
Just format, I guess... types of questions... basicly everything you can't "discuss" in public...lol

But, seriously, I work with a two guys, and we are all taking thePE in April. One is an Environ Eng, and myself and the third are CEs. I am taking Civil/Env Pm, the one guy is taking Civil/WR Pm, while the Environ Eng is taking the Environ Eng.

I was just curious as to how the questions differ from the Environmental and the Civil/Environmental. We all work for the State, in the Environmental Protection Division. I recently moved from wastewater to stormwater.

Brian

Brian --

I am a state regulator too - hazardous waste regulation (RCRA) and environmental remediation.

I don't think the fundamental questions between Civil PE (Env Depth) and Env PE exam stray very far apart. I have a copy of the NCEES Exam for each discipline and they cover the same ground. Primary differences are obvious - Environmental PE Exam has specifications for things other that solid waste, wastewater treatment, etc.

Now that I have had some time to reflect on the things I did wrong when I had prepared for the Civil PE (Env Depth Exam), I would have to say the two largest largest contributors to my lack of success:

1. Organization of my notes and materials; and

2. Lack of ability to adequately prepare myself to efficiently solve wastewater treatment problems.

I think organization of your materials and references are KEY, regardless of the exam you will take. I had so many references and 'workbooks' that I was literally overwhelmed by the volume of material. The last time that I took the exam and passed, I started a new folder for each discipline (Env, Geo, Trans, Str, WR) and kept track of common solutions, unit conversions, formulae, etc. In this way, I was able to eliminate redundant materials and focus on 'the good stuff'.

The other major obstacle was solving wastewater treatment problems. Sure, I have an environmental engineering degree, but I have simply reached a point where I can't solve those problems in six-minutes. When I switched over to WR this last time - it clicked a lot better for me. I also still had Env problems too - they weren't as involved.

I know this only partially answers your questions, but feel free to post Q's as you are preparing. Good luck.

JR

I looked into Civ-Envl PM and the Envl PE. The stuff on water/wastewater, stormwater, and open channel flows all looked pretty similar.

The main differences were that the civil has structural and transportation on it, whereas the envl had solids wastes, water quality, envl law, etc.

I just felt like my envl background was stronger than my civil, so I took that.

A civil license might be a little more helpful given my current job, but the envl is nice because there are less of us and that comes in handy when there is a need on a specialty project.

I took the Environmental exam instead of the Civil/Env. It must be different for VT, but here where I live the Civil/Env. test is by far the more versatile license. I took the Environmental exam only because it reflects what I do as a state regulator so well, and also because if I took the Civil, I would have been required to take and pass the CA survey and seismic exams (our territory imitates CA in many legal aspects, including engineering licensing). So I may end up somewhat limited in what types of work I can certify, but I'm just happy to be a PE. Plus, I am Environmental Engineer #1 in this tiny little "state", so that's kind of cool.

A couple things that are not covered at all in the Civil exams, from what I can tell, are air pollution control and safety/emergency response. But if you're in stormwater and wastewater, I think you're better off with one of the Civil PEs.

Brian --
I am a state regulator too - hazardous waste regulation (RCRA) and environmental remediation.

I don't think the fundamental questions between Civil PE (Env Depth) and Env PE exam stray very far apart. I have a copy of the NCEES Exam for each discipline and they cover the same ground. Primary differences are obvious - Environmental PE Exam has specifications for things other that solid waste, wastewater treatment, etc.

Now that I have had some time to reflect on the things I did wrong when I had prepared for the Civil PE (Env Depth Exam), I would have to say the two largest largest contributors to my lack of success:

1. Organization of my notes and materials; and

2. Lack of ability to adequately prepare myself to efficiently solve wastewater treatment problems.

I think organization of your materials and references are KEY, regardless of the exam you will take. I had so many references and 'workbooks' that I was literally overwhelmed by the volume of material. The last time that I took the exam and passed, I started a new folder for each discipline (Env, Geo, Trans, Str, WR) and kept track of common solutions, unit conversions, formulae, etc. In this way, I was able to eliminate redundant materials and focus on 'the good stuff'.

The other major obstacle was solving wastewater treatment problems. Sure, I have an environmental engineering degree, but I have simply reached a point where I can't solve those problems in six-minutes. When I switched over to WR this last time - it clicked a lot better for me. I also still had Env problems too - they weren't as involved.

I know this only partially answers your questions, but feel free to post Q's as you are preparing. Good luck.

JR
This is basically what I am doing. Catalog, organize everything, filter out the crap, keep the good stuff, and try not to be the guy with the handtruck full of books and references.

Thanks for the advice.

bb

Back