China developing 180,000-ton double-hull aircraft carrier

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Doubtful, but interesting, nonetheless....

Qianzhan.com said in its report yesterday: Chinahas to put an end to its old practice of following others countries’ footsteps.

Sources say that through meticulous engineering and mechanical analysis, China will conductresearch and development of the first 180,000-tondouble hull aircraft carrier in the world.

If successful, it will be a movable Chinese territory with maritime hegemony.

It will have a huge capacity, capable of carrying 125 J-20 fighter jets enough to destroy any existing aircraft carrier in the world.

Sources say that China conducts research into a 180,000-ton double hull aircraft carrier because compared with a monohull aircraft carrier, it has exceptional advantages.

A double hull carrier may have two identical runways for simultaneous taking off and landing.

In addition the diagonal runway on the existing Nimitz-class aircraft carrier is too short to be free of the risk of crash.

07-china-double-hull-aircraft-carrier.jpg
http://chinadailymail.com/2013/10/07/china-developing-180000-ton-double-hull-aircraft-carrier/

It's actually a damned good idea, but I seriously doubt China's engineering industry's capacity for "meticulous engineering and mechanical analysis." From what I've heard, most of their R&D consists of reverse engineering Western or Japanese products, and producing cheaply made replicas.

but I seriously doubt China's engineering industry's capacity for "meticulous engineering and mechanical analysis." From what I've heard, most of their R&D consists of reverse engineering Western or Japanese products, and producing cheaply made replicas.
I've also heard this. And from my experience in the international nuclear business, they seem to want to farm out the "meticulous engineering and mechanical analysis".

China's never built anything half that cool on land.

If they ever finish it, I bet it looks like a maritime version of the North Korean stealth fighter.

^ didn't they build that really huge mall or something? Or was that a different Asian country? I recall it being on the news a few months back.

It's actually a damned good idea, but I seriously doubt China's engineering industry's capacity for "meticulous engineering and mechanical analysis."

Catamarans have practical size limitations. The Soviets did a bunch of preliminary design work on them, but the Aussies have experience building blue/brown water cats, and they have definitely run up against the wall for sizing.

Back