Career Planning Worksheet

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark Knight

Silent Guardian
Reaction score
Coming back from a training class found myself with the following situation. My boss gave me the preliminar CPW where he disclosed the plan or the way he sees my career developing within the company. To my surprise, and I mean SURPRISE!!! :huh: :eek:hmy: , he said that I should be ready to take his position within 5 years, he told me he will retire in 4 -5 years, and then move to his boss' position within 10-15 years.

I thought whiskey tango foxtrot. I am still fighting my way to learn the basics of the company, there is another engineer, a very nice lady who has been here 10 years already, and I am darn sure that I had not make such a good impression in only three months. Or did I? I am baffled. He said he likes the enthusiasm :th_rockon: and the informality :w00t: I have approached the tasks given to me. Not sure if the latest was a compliment or a warning but truth is that I always have the freaking :bio: attitude for almost everything.

We are four engineers in this Dept. The Man( over 20 years here), the nice lady, another EE,P.E.(7 years), and my mom's son. I am the newest and the more technical of the three. They are more to the adm side. But I am concerned about this. Is he :BS: me?The nice lady is not a PE but she knows her job and is an excellent PM. She is always working with the budgets and materials requisition and she knows the company. The other P.E. is leaving next month so he is out of the equation by default. My concern is that I think it will be bad for the lady engineer to be bypassed like that. I would hate if that happens to me. One thing is that the position asks for a P.E. and I believe she never took the EIT neither but that does not mean that I should be selected over her, at least from my watchtower.

As I said she is very capable and a better person. I just can't see myself jumping in front of her like that.Should I express these concerns to The Man? Maybe this is just a protocol and they are not really thinking of me in that way. Who knows. I feel I should have an explanation on the expectations.Think is just fair for me and for my co-workers.

Congrats, it's nice to hear that you are well regarded there and they see a bright future for you. It's much better than them looking for your replacement!

One thing is that the position asks for a P.E.
That may simply be the deal breaker against the other woman you mentioned. If one of the requirements for a position is to have a P.E., and she doesn't, then she just may not be eligible for the position. One of the reasons you got a P.E. license was to move ahead in your field and this may be one of those doors opening for you because of that.

I'll say this. If the position officially requires a PE, and you're coworker does not have one, you should not feel bad about them looking at you for the position. Your coworker (I'm assuming) has the qualifications required to sit for the EIT and PE exams. If she chooses not to do that, its her problem. She may not be interested in a management position, and this may be the exact reason she has never sat for the exams.

She may not be interested in a management position, and this may be the exact reason she has never sat for the exams.
That's definitely true. Not everyone has aspirations to be on top. I've known people in certain positions that were quite content to be there. I used to work for a PM who turned down and resisted attempts to get him into corporate management because he wanted to remain involved on the technical side.

They may also know if she's interested in moving up or not.

BIO --

I think you take good news on its' face until you are proven otherwise. :) I think there are still some places in the world that have a develop and mentor attitude - at least your boss sounds like that kind of person. My previous supervisor was the same way.

As far as the nice lady in the office, I don't think I can add any more than what has been stated. If the position is looking for a P.E. then non-P.E.'s don't fill the role whether by choice or design.

Good luck BIO - it's always nice to get some *POSITIVE* recognition, especially early in the week. :D

:bio:

JR

You are right guys but I am going to take it at "Face Value". Things can change in a blink of an eye. I am here today, tomorrow I don't know.

Bottom line, as surprised and excited I can be, caution is the order of the day. I do not want to missunderstand the Boss' intentions nor sell myself cheap.

5 years from now is 1,825 days ahead and I don't know if I have so much time right now. My job here is not hard or difficult. It is not even so challenging if we speak in technical terms. My Boss is a great person and I have not worked with such a group of nice and friendly people in my life.

I have learned my lessons since I left my island to come here and one of them is :Live one day at a time.

It is just a matter of holding the fort for a few more years and we will see. If the day comes and it is for me to move to a better office... :bio: At this time I am not looking for that and am not going to die if does not happen. I have a list of questions I am going to ask my Boss. After that I will have a better picture. I think this is a good starting point.

That sounds great BIO. It sounds like that's what he had in mind when he hired you. As far as the woman --like others said, if she's not a PE and the position calls for a PE then she's not qualified. We have positions here with the same criteria. If she has a problem getting bypassed for the position, then that's for her to discuss with the boss.

Good work! :thumbs:

Congrats on the good review!

It looks like you have a really good outlook too. I always took the five year plan parts of the performance review with a grain of salt. An awful lot can happen in 5 years. Your goals and wishes for your career may very well be radically different then than it is now. As you said, the way to treat the current job is one day at a time. Do the best job possible and learn everything you can. The opportunities will follow.

:2cents:

Congrats on the good review!
It looks like you have a really good outlook too. I always took the five year plan parts of the performance review with a grain of salt. An awful lot can happen in 5 years. Your goals and wishes for your career may very well be radically different then than it is now. As you said, the way to treat the current job is one day at a time. Do the best job possible and learn everything you can. The opportunities will follow.

:2cents:
AMEN

Regardless of what your plans are in the future it is nice to be recognized. In addition to having the PE, your boss probably sees leadership material in you. Not everyone is made to be a boss. You have to be able to get along with people, and stay calm, make calm decisions. Probably your boss sees that quality.

Excellent! I wouldn't worry about the nice lady. 5 years is a lot of time, and there may be more to her performance than you know. Or it may just be that she hasn't gotten her PE, and these guys are right, that's just part of the requirements. If she doesn't have it, it's not your fault. Just keep doing what you now know your boss likes (B.I.O.!), and the future will take care of itself.

Maybe you should help coach your coworker into studying for and getting her EIT and PE. That can only look good to both her and your big boss, and probably won't hurt you any.

Congratulations BringItOn !!! My best friend went thru a similar situation. He's been in his current department for 5 years; in a group of 7 people. The rest of the group had been there 10 years or more. Two of them were up for retirement. The first retiree was the manager; the second retiree was at my friend's level. When he was notified that he would be up for the management position, he was happy of course, but expressed his concern about the second retiree being passed up. You see, where he works, they average the last few years salary, to determine the retirement package. So it would be better for the second retiree to take the position at least for his last year before retiring.

His boss told him that the second retiree had mentioned he was not interested. My friend responded by saying that he would prefer that the second retiree be asked officially. They eventually did ask the second reitree officially, but he turned it down; didn't want the pressure. My friend and the second retiree already had a good relationship. My friend brought up his concern to him. The second retiree expressed to him that he didn't want the position.

The first retiree is retired now; my friend is the manager; the second retiree is still in his same position a year away from retiring. My friend does not have any issues with any members of the group.

The only flag I would raise in your situation, is possible insubordination from the nice lady once you become manager. It is ok to raise your concerns to your boss about her being passed up. This brings out your excellent ethical character. I doubt that you will lose the position, since the decision is already made and since a PE is required. Maybe she already knows she is not up for the promotiion, but maybe she doesn't. If she is unaware it may cause problems in the future.

Congrats BIO! I got the same thing during my review with the head of the department... I am being groomed for his job which will probably be in 5 years. A lot can happen in 5 years (bankruptcy, better offers, etc.) but at least you know that to some degree they value you and see that is more to you than just being a worker bee.

-Ray

Congrats BIO! I got the same thing during my review with the head of the department... I am being groomed for his job which will probably be in 5 years. A lot can happen in 5 years (bankruptcy, better offers, etc.) but at least you know that to some degree they value you and see that is more to you than just being a worker bee.
-Ray
Thanks Ray. After thinking about it and talking to wifey you all are right. I am not at fault if the position requires the PE and I am the only one left with the license. Bottom line, I did not buy it and it was not given to me because my good looks :joke: I had to and sacrificed a lot to get my P.E. license.

Of, course, she can work for it and get in the meantime and I will be more than glad to help her in whatever I can if she asks me. As I said...5 years is a long time.

Maybe this is what I needed. Some stability in one aspect of my life. I've looking for a place to call home since I moved and have not been able to find it. It might be.

Back