Career advice: would getting an MS in Engineering Management help?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alpha Dog

Reaction score
First, let me explain my situation.

I went to a somewhat-selective private University and got an BSCE on an ROTC scholarship. Now that I'm active duty, I'm considering using the military's tuition assistance program to pay for an online master's degree. The one that looks most appealing is ERAU's new MS in Engineering Management. My goal for when I get out is to be a project manager in construction/engineering/public works, etc.

Does anyone in here think that this MS would fit the bill for becoming a project manager? Is there a better option out there as far as online graduate work?

Any ideas, experiences, or sage advice would be appreciated.

OK, let's explore options. "When I get out"-- when is that, 5 years or 25 years? If you are just going to put in your ROTC committment, which I assume is what you are suggesting, then that answer is different than if you are going to be a lifer and spend 25 years!

I see that you are at White Sands-- does NM State have anything that you can take at White Sands? I guess that I am in favor of in residence v on-line graduate education. One reason is the interaction (intellectual intercourse) that you have with your classmates is unparalleled in the active classroom environment. Some of that occurs in the on-line program, but not to the degree of in class program.

Your logic of a Masters in order to become a program manager is OK, however, you do not need it in order to do so. I trust that you have your EIT and are gallantly working on the experience quotient for your PE license? You really need to get your PE license. Hopefully, the work that you are currently doing, and you are keeping excellent notes, will make this experience factor easy to quantify and document?

There are other threads on this board regarding the PMP certificate. I will argue that the PE is much more valuable than the PMP, however, I am aware that many government contractors, especially those in the in IT space, think that PMP certificate is of high value. Like the PE, there are continuing education requirements for that as well. This is slightly off topic, however, germane to the discussion.

I would probably see if I could find a better known on-line program than ERAU if I was thinking about doing an on-line Masters in Engineering Management. Sadly, I don't have any suggestions, however, I do know that they are out there. Perhaps Nebraska, Oklahoma state, Penn State-- I believe that they all have on-line Master's degrees. I believe Texas A&M does as well.

Hopefully, this will aid in your thinking as you begin this journey.

Send me a PM-- the recent copy of Civil Engineering magazine had a great list of on-line programs in Civil engineering to include engineering management. I will scan the article and send it to you.

This is the data tha tI had hoped to provide above, which I failed to do.

Send me your email address-- I will scan and send the article to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alpha Dog, I too considered enrolling in an MS Program for Engineering Management before deciding against it in lieu of a Graduate Certificate program in my area of concentration. Based on my research and talking with other engineers, an MS in Engineering Management is probably more advantageous for employment as a manager/supervisor of engineers (division/department manager) as opposed to a project manager. Also many of the MS programs in Engineering Management place a lot of emphasis on industrial engineering practices and systems engineering.

As civil engineers, our natural professional progression leads us into project management roles in obtaining PE license and with experience and increased project oversight. I honeslty don't think obtaining MS in Engineering Managment would be as beneficial for our field of engineering as it would others. However, if Uncle Sam is going to pay for it, it wouldn't necessarily hurt either.

One program I did come across and would recommend if you're still interested in enrolling in an MS program in Engineering Management is the one offered by Old Dominion University. You can complete it via distance learning and unlike some of the traditional "online programs", most courses are offered as live courses in which the distant learners watch live, talk and interact with the instructor and classmates through computer and webcam. As solomonb eluded, I think some of the online programs underestimate the importance of live lecturing and student interaction. However, I think ODU has done a very good job with their distant learning programs and providing distant students with as close to a traditional classroom environment as possible.

Getting an MS in Engineering Management can be a good choice for becoming a project manager in construction/engineering/public works. It helps you develop skills in both engineering and management, which are essential for such roles. ERAU's MS in Engineering Management seems appealing, but you may also explore other online graduate programs. Research and compare different programs to find the best fit for your goals.

Back