Calculating the Plastic Modulus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldu571

Reaction score
Probably not necessary for the test but how do you calculate the (Z) plastic modulus for steel? It appears that the ratio between Z/S is on average 1.14 if you pull it directly out of the charts and I can put my brain on autopilot and go with that when using the new steel book. (I still tend to want to use the green ASD columns.)

But I would like to know how to calculate it. My mechanics book defines it as: The plastic modulus is the arithmetic sum of th absolute values of the first moments, WRT the neutral axis of the areas on each side of the neutral axis. I tried to solve for Z for a W8 using this defination and came up with something completely different than the tables.

The plastic section modulus is a property of the cross section and not the material.

Take a look at pages 17-36 to 17-38 pf the AISC 13th edition and look for the section property "Z" for these standard shapes. Actually, all steel codes have this "section properties" section in the back.

Specifically for an I section with a flange width of B, a flange thickness of T, a total depth of d+2T, and a web thickness of t, the plastic section modulus is: 0.5*T*(B^2)+0.25*d*(t^2).

I hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back