Calculating maximum vertical rise for coax cable

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jscelsi

Reaction score
How do I determine the maximum vertical distance a coax cable can be run?

I think it would be when the weight of the cable exceeds its tensile strength. You would need to know the unit weight of the cable (lbs/ft for example), its diameter, and the cables breaking strength.

I remember going a similar problem in college except that the cable was a steel wire. Using the some simple equations we proved that it would be impossible to build an elevator to space without first coming up with some new super strength materials.

I would ask the obvious question: why can't the cable be braced, supported, or attached to a wall?
Perhaps it's being ran inside a plenum or conduit? Even if it's not, you need to know how far it can be run between supports, right?
Zip-tie it every 10 floors to be safe and call it good.

The only practical question of maximum run for coax relates to signal degredation.

I would ask the obvious question: why can't the cable be braced, supported, or attached to a wall?
Perhaps it's being ran inside a plenum or conduit? Even if it's not, you need to know how far it can be run between supports, right?
Zip-tie it every 10 floors to be safe and call it good.

The only practical question of maximum run for coax relates to signal degredation.
250' max run length for 735 coax and 450' for 734 coax for DS3's. This is to a DSX-3 panel with one standard cross connect. I have trouble shot projects that the run length from equipment to DSX-3 was okay, but provisioning left in 9 sets of cross connects at high db loss each before reaching the DSX-3 assignment to the other piece of equipment. When customers pulled out, provisioning pulled the customer off of the DSX-3 panel without removing the cross connects back to our original DSX-3 assignment for our equipment.

Back