Buying a kayak

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark Knight

Silent Guardian
Reaction score
I have a plan to buy a kayak. I know nothing about it and would like to know if you have any advice.

Would it be better a sit in or a sit on top?

Tandem? Solo?

Size?

I will mostly use it in calm waters and maybe in the beach every now and then.

:bio:

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I am envious of you. I've wanted a canoe for a while now, but don't have spare money to invest that much into a hobby.

Only kayaks I've ever been in were rentals. I don't know the specs and what questions to ask all that well.

I have a plan to buy a kayak. I know nothing about it and would like to know if you have any advice.
Would it be better a sit in or a sit on top?

Tandem? Solo?

Size?

I will mostly use it in calm waters and maybe in the beach every now and then.

:bio:

Thanks
DK, if you're going to use it at the beach I would definitely go with the sit on top variety. I've got one that I have use of, I don't own it, and it's a sit on top. I am thinking about buying one that I can fish from. That way i can drop it in the water after work and I don't have to go through the trouble of putting the big boat in the water. I would start with a cheaper entry level model which you should be able to get for $200 to $300 and see how much you use it. Then get a fancier model and sell the old one if you determine that you really like it.

VT: I'd check craigslist I bet you can get a canoe for short money there.

^I had been thinking about calling the local rental shop I go to at the end of the season. I'm near lake Cochituate and Ashland State Park, so I'd get plenty of use out of it. Just seems like every time I look into it, there's something big and expensive that sucks up my cash.

For fishing and calm waters, you definitely want a sit-on rather than a sit in. The sit on's will usually have a bit of "storage" room behind the seat, as well as some between your legs for smaller items or to hold your fishing pole.

For fishing and calm waters, you definitely want a sit-on rather than a sit in. The sit on's will usually have a bit of "storage" room behind the seat, as well as some between your legs for smaller items or to hold your fishing pole.
Are you trying to say that DK has a small "item" between his legs?

I don't think I'd want to let the item you're alluding to lay out on a kayak regardless of size, particularly when UV rays and fish hooks are present.

I don't think I'd want to let the item you're alluding to lay out on a kayak regardless of size, particularly when UV rays and fish hooks are present.
As long as you wear sunscreen and you're careful with the hooks you should be okay. Plus you won't have any tanlines.

As long as you wear sunscreen and you're careful with the hooks you should be okay. Plus you won't have any tanlines.

A definitely plus when posing for your photo on the registered sex offenders website for indecent exposure.

What I do with purchases like this is buy it off craigslist, try it out and if you don't like post it up for sale for the same price you bought it for. 8D

Its like renting, but for free.

I learned to kayak in college and have been doing that along with rafting for several years now.

I only do whitewater, but most of these suggestions would apply to you.....it sounds like you are interested in flat water/recreational kayaking.

Take a class, especially if you get a sit in kayak and use a spray skirt.

I suggest never going by yourself especially if you are going to be in either moving water (river) or a large body of water (large lake/ocean). I suggest a class because there are some important safety information you need plus you can meet other like-minded folks to go along with. Most local shops that sell kayaks and gear can point you in the right direction. Try to find the specialty shop(s) in your area that deals exclusively with kayaks, canoes, and rafts rather than the mega-sports store for 1 simple reason, they have people that actually know what they are talking about can hook you up with classes/info. Typically the gear is of higher quality as well.

Know the water you are boating, most rivers and lakes people paddle on have been written about in river guides. Here in Oregon we have one called Soggy Sneakers which I constantly use. A very common problem with beginners is that they put onto a relatively calm river, but do not realize there are serious downstream hazards that veterans know about. An example are low head dams, <---------these are man killers.

Look online for used kayaks and gear on Craigslist, Boatertalk.com, mountainbuzz.com, the last two have gear swap pages as well as message boards you can post questions on.

Do not cut corners on you PFD. #1 Reason: you want it to work properly and you need it to fit so it can work properly. Also unlike some water sports you will have the thing on the entire time in the water and they the design of a kayak PFD is different than what you want of a water skiing PFD...... if it is uncomfortable it is really going to suck.

I just followed your link and realized it was about exactly what I was mentioning in my post, these types of things happen too often with low head dams.

It really doesn't matter how fit a swimmer you are the recirc is so powerful and uniform you really have no chance of escape unless someone can toss you a throw bag.

Just be careful how you use your Kayak, and make sure it is the proper kind for whatever you are doing. My wife lost a co-worker this week who was into extreme sports.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.asp...A1_Tioaea195245

I would strongly suggest you don't try tandem until you have mastered solo. I know of marriages that have nearly been broken because of this. ;)

the "old school"kayaks that you sit in mainly used in rivers are failry challenging to learn how to do, not impossible but if your wanting what most people these days call a kayak for calmer water that you can fish out of etc, they have tons of them at Dicks Sporting goods and they are not at all expensive, I am getting my 10 year old one for his birthday so he can paddle around our marina and fish, play, etc, Its a two person, you can sit in it but it was about $400...

I like the sit upon, ocean style kayaks. they are easy to use, track like a train, and you can start out fairly inexpensive.

here's a discussion: sit on top kayak

I really prefer a kayak to a canoe because you travel a straighter line, move with less effort so it is more rewarding, and you don't have the paddle swinging over your stuff and dripping on it like a canoe does.

I own three sit-on-top kayaks. 2 are Ocean Kayak brand, one is a tandem and one is a single. The other one, I can't remember what brand it is - bought it used.

The sit-on-tops are the best for having fun. You can kayak surf with them, fish, or just cruise around. They're a lot of fun. The only reason to get a tandem is if you need to take someone with you who can't handle being on their own. Like a little kid. Two people on one of these things tends to really slow them down, and make them less fun. Unless you have some reason to get a tandem, I would try to get a good single, and make sure you get one with a comfortable seat. I've seen some with rudders that operated by pedals, that's not necessary. These kayaks are very easy to maneuver.

I don't know what prices are these days, but I got mine for around $650 in 1997, fully accessorized and shipped to the far Pacific.

Done!!!!!!

Just came from the store. Bought the Perception Tribe 9.5. This is very exciting. :bio:

Perception Tribe 9.5

I think I got a great deal: The kayak, a paddle, and an Ocean Kayak deluxe seat for $427, tax included. :party-smiley-048:

Did a lot of research before and after I posted my request. Thanks for all the advices. I was going for a Sit In but after reading the replies here decided for the one I bought. First I really wanted to buy the Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL(SOT) but then, because $$$ constrains, looked at the Old Town Vapor 10 (SIT) and the Pelican Pursuit 100(SIT). I was going for the Old Town when decided to seek advice here. Glad I did that.

I will use it in the springs in Florida and whenever I go to the beach to be able to approach the sea turtles. Eventually I am going to buy a bigger one to be able to take my scuba gear and have some fun. I would like to paddle in all the springs across Florida.

I had a plan to take it to the water tomorrow in a river nearby where I live. But just learned that the place is full of gators right now(mating season may be the reason) and there is regular that is a 14 footer. My wife is having issues with me taking it to the river in that place. Maybe I should wait until I master the kayak. Do not want to be gator bait to 14ft. There is a spring not too far from here with guided tours so I will wait one more week and will go there. Cannot wait!!!!! :mf_bounce8:

Will post pics of my first trip so stay tuned.

Again, thank you guys. Your advice was really appreciated.

DK

Back