Branch Manager vs Department Manager

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geomane

Reaction score
I passed the PE exam last October and was promoted to Branch Manager about a month and a half ago. I also got a pretty decent raise. I received a job offer for the Geotechnical Department Manager position from one of our competitors yesterday; they told me they would match or exceed my current compensation package at my current job. 

I'm torn as to whether I should stay with my current employer or change jobs. Most people say stay at my current job since I am branch manager; however geotech is what I really like. And I hate dealing with the construction materials testing side of things. 

I run an office now that consists of 17 employees. If I switched jobs, my department would have a little less. So I would be moving to a much larger office. 

That being said, I really don't know what I want to do. Looking for some advice from anyone who has encountered a similar situation. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't even consider the office if all they are offering is to 'match' your compensation package.  If this position is a promotion for you, and if they want you that badly, then they should be willing to pay for it.  

If you're happy with the folks you're working with, satisfied with your position, have good prospects of upward mobility, why would you consider this change other than the much larger office?

On the other hand, if you hate dealing with certain parts of your job, certainly consider it but even then don't move without a nice pay bump.

I like being paid and everything, so I'm not saying compensation isn't important, but it's really important to me that I like my job, that I have a good work/life balance, and that I have room for upward mobility. 

If the compensation offer is the same, make a "Pros and Cons" list of both opportunities, and keep in mind that counter-offering a compensation package is usually expected by employers, and you should be doing these negotiations with the potential employer's HR department. 

I plan to stay with my employer for another 3 to 5 years and then look to see what's available. 

Back