Borders to close all stores

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Borders's best chance for survival fell apart last week when talks with private-equity investor Jahm Najafi to buy the company collapsed. Borders scrambled unsuccessfully over the weekend to find other potential buyers who would keep the chain alive.
The chain's demise could speed the decline in sales of hardcover and paperback books as consumers increasingly turn to downloading electronic books or having physical books mailed to their doorsteps.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405..._LEFTTopStories

Looks like the end of the bookstores is drawing near. Kinda sad for a bibliophile like myself, but I have to admit to being part of the problem.

never real buy books from borders or the like...way too expensive. I always hit the clearance sections when i did go to the store. I usually never read a book again, so I am more of a library person. But since our library sucks, I read my sisters leftovers. She buys books all the time.

never real buy books from borders or the like...way too expensive. I always hit the clearance sections when i did go to the store. I usually never read a book again, so I am more of a library person. But since our library sucks, I read my sisters leftovers. She buys books all the time.

EVERYTHING there is too expensive. Heck, I want to a Barnes & Noble the other day, and their run of the mill Blu-Rays were at $35+... $15 more than their equivalent at WalMart, etc.

I can't remember the last time I was in a book store. I very seldom buy books, hell with mini-ble running around and mini-ble2 coming soon I don't have time for reading.

I'll admit to be part of the problem, in that I buy a lot of books online - but I also support my local bookstores, Smith Family Bookstore (Eugene) and Powell's Books (Portland). Powell's is where I generally buy all my technical books - used - and Smiths is where I exchange my old (non-technical) books for ones I either haven't read or want to reread. No, I don't sell books and then rebuy them - but I do have attrition due to issues like my wife spilling chili on them.

Amazon is way too convenient for me to bother going to an actual bookstore. We have a Barnes and Noble and I like it, but I rarely use it. Our local library is awesome...it was built new in 2008 and is like going to an upscale bookstore...only it's all free! Well, tax issues aside, it's all free!

Between a Kindle and small used bookstores there is little reason to pay full price for books today.

I buy a lot of stuff used from Amazon Marketplace. I imagine it costs them sales, but the savings are really good.

there's a borders near me, and I signed up for their Plus program. Between that (10% off), and their regularly emailed coupons (30-50% off), I hardly ever paid more than $4-8 for a book. At Christmas I bought a lot of gifts there because I could get a good deal. Maybe that's why they're going out of business.

coupons...the death of stores...other than grocery that is.
It depends on who issues the coupon and what it's for. If the store itself issues a coupon for x% off of any purchase, it hurts their bottom line. The reason grocery stores get away with it is that most of their coupons are manufacturer coupons good for x% off of a specific product. The manufacturer eats those costs (reimburses the grocery store). Unless, of course, the grocery store is doing double coupon day, in which they are eating half of the savings.

Borders was headquartered a half-hour from here in Ann Arbor. Will be another blow to the area, though not as bad as when Pfizer shut down a research facility there a few years ago and killed 2500 jobs.

Back