Average End problem # 52

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

eric08

I worked problem # 52 in the 6 min. sol. and they have a different answer than I am getting. i think they are mistaken in that they are not solving for a prismoidal figure when there is 0 volume at either end of the line. Has anyone else encountered this? And also, what is borrow and waste ( i haven't ever seen this before and I'm confussed.)

Thanks for the help!

I worked problem # 52 in the 6 min. sol. and they have a different answer than I am getting. i think they are mistaken in that they are not solving for a prismoidal figure when there is 0 volume at either end of the line. Has anyone else encountered this? And also, what is borrow and waste ( i haven't ever seen this before and I'm confussed.)Thanks for the help!
I don't have the book with me here but will look it up after work. As far as borrow and waste, they'd have to give you a required quantity and if your volume on site exceeds that quantity you'd have waste (too much material) if your volume is less than the quantity required it would be borrow (importing material from a borrow pit)

The solution looks right, the key words in the question are "Between the Stations" So you would limit your calcs between the stations listed and not beyond, you can get a quicker solution by taking the net difference in cut and fill at each station and solve in one step vs. solving for cut volume and then fill volume

The solution looks right, the key words in the question are "Between the Stations" So you would limit your calcs between the stations listed and not beyond, you can get a quicker solution by taking the net difference in cut and fill at each station and solve in one step vs. solving for cut volume and then fill volume
I don't know, I was thinking that since there was 0 cut at sta. 1+00 & 0 fill @ sta. 3+00, that you had to calc. those with: V= (LA)/3, as it states to do on pg 80-2 CERM. Maybe I'm reading too far into it?

you can get a quicker solution by taking the net difference in cut and fill at each station and solve in one step vs. solving for cut volume and then fill volume

Back