Another job question thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ble_PE

I need a beer.
Reaction score
Just to clarify, this is still all hypothetical at this point. I'm still employed at the same place and haven't been given the pink slip yet, so I'm just asking a few questions to see what opinions ya'll have.

As some of you know, I've been without work to do at work for pretty much 4 months now and needless to say, I'm getting a little antsy. We are still waiting to hear if we've been selected for a large project and should hear something by the end of the month, but regardless of the outcome, I've become a bit jaded toward my current employer. So this has led me to looking at any available opportunities that are out there right now. As it stands now, I have two leads.

The first is with a company here in town that I know the VP of Engineering for the Southeast who basically told me to call him if things get worse or if I need a change of pace. I feel like I would have a job here as long as they have the work to justify it.

The second lead is based on a cold call from a recruiter who saw my Linkedin profile (I guess they really do work!). He informed me of a position with a company in Florida that seems very interesting based on the job description and then he forwarded my resume to his contact with that company to see if he would like to perform a phone interview. I spoke with the recruiter last Friday and he is still waiting to hear back from the company, so this might not happen, but I'm still including it.

The one big thing with both of these leads that gives me pause is that they are both in specialized fields. The first job would be a transmission civil structural engineer performing the design for transmission line towers, etc. The second job is with a precast company performing the job of PE for designs of precast bridges and also as plant engineer for the precast plant.

I'm unsure if taking a job in a specialized industry such as one of these would hurt me this early in my career (I've been working 5 years). Can anyone with experience working in a specialized field let me know some pros and cons of your work? I'm just wondering if I should try to build a wider knowledge base now, and then a few years down the road possibly look into a specialized field, or if I should just go ahead and take the plunge.

I know this is all my decision anyway, but I was curious what some of you thought. I've learned a lot from the folks here on this board and ya'll always have good advice to give, so let me have it!

Thanks for reading all of this, it turned out to be longer than I thought. :thumbs:

I can imagine it would get very frustrating and boring without anything to do all day, but it's pretty amazing that you still have a job after 4 months without work! Do you think your employer is going to be handing out pink slips soon or will they hang onto you for a while more?

Before you take one of these other positions, I would make sure you definitely have work, and the field isn't going under any time soon. If work does slow down you'll be the first one laid off since you're the new guy on the job.

I can imagine it would get very frustrating and boring without anything to do all day, but it's pretty amazing that you still have a job after 4 months without work! Do you think your employer is going to be handing out pink slips soon or will they hang onto you for a while more?
Before you take one of these other positions, I would make sure you definitely have work, and the field isn't going under any time soon. If work does slow down you'll be the first one laid off since you're the new guy on the job.
It all hinges on the project we are awaiting word on. If we get the job, then I'll be good to go since I'm on the staffing plan for it. If we don't get the job, then all bets are off. I'm sure that there will be layoffs, the only question is how many, and how soon. We had lay offs about 2 months ago now and they laid off 19 people. If it happens again I expect it to be twice that at least. I agree that it's amazing that I still have a job after 4 months of little to no work, but believe it or not, there are folks here in this office that haven't had more than a month or two of billable work in 18-24 months. :true:

As for the other positions, the one with the precast company seems like it would be secure because I would be the responsible engineer for their precast bridges, so they would have to hire a PE to replace me if they got rid of me. The position with the transmission company would be the question mark. I recently had lunch with my friend (the VP) and the Director of Transmission Lines and in talking with them after the lunch, they would take me on if I wanted to come work there. Of course, this is dependent on whether or not they have the backlog to justify it.

I think the best career path is a specility, you get to know the industry and can make a name for yourself over time. Jack of all trades master of non, really doesnt pay that well and you may be passed over for some of the really exciting or challanging stuff later in your career, they may go for the specilist. I dont think either field is limited and should provide good growth opportunities.

Your current company must be publicaly traded or stashed alot of cash, wow.

Good luck

Jack of all trades master of non
Master of naan? That could be marketable.

naan.JPG

It gets extremely boring and old. After the Worldcom collapse, we went 3 or 4 years without real work with continual layoffs. Now, we have a non-engineer as a manager and what work we get is not engineering work. UGHHH.... We have another round of layoffs on Thursday, and my group won't be affected. Maybe I will get laid off finally during the next round. I will have 28 weeks and an MSETM, and almost an MBA whenever the time comes unless I find something much better.

I think the best career path is a specility, you get to know the industry and can make a name for yourself over time. Jack of all trades master of non, really doesnt pay that well and you may be passed over for some of the really exciting or challanging stuff later in your career, they may go for the specilist. I dont think either field is limited and should provide good growth opportunities.
Your current company must be publicaly traded or stashed alot of cash, wow.

Good luck
Thanks for your input. I've heard this about specialties. I guess the conservative part of me is resisting getting pigeon-holed, but I think I would enjoy it.

And yes, my company is public and has a very large backlog, albeit from other divisions than my own. I happened to start with the company right as they were opening an office here and they grew that office tremendously in the first 18 months and since have only been successful on one proposal. Luckily that project was large enough to keep the office stable, but that job is coming to an end.

The one big thing with both of these leads that gives me pause is that they are both in specialized fields. The first job would be a transmission civil structural engineer performing the design for transmission line towers, etc.

Hey, thats sorta what I do! I deal with more substations though. Its definately an interesting field to work in and I think its fun. You also get exposed to a lot of electrical topics so there is always something to learn. I think the utility industry is the way to go as far as growth and job security.

The one big thing with both of these leads that gives me pause is that they are both in specialized fields. The first job would be a transmission civil structural engineer performing the design for transmission line towers, etc.

Hey, thats sorta what I do! I deal with more substations though. Its definately an interesting field to work in and I think its fun. You also get exposed to a lot of electrical topics so there is always something to learn. I think the utility industry is the way to go as far as growth and job security.
This is the job that I've been seriously considering depending on what happens at my current employer. I had forgotten that you were in the utility industry. This isn't a utility, but almost all of their work is for utilities. They also have a substation group but it is small and they don't see it growing anytime soon. Thanks for the input!

Well, we just found out that we lost the bid for the job we were hoping for. Everybody's pretty apprehensive now and we're actually worried about the possibility of them closing the office. Boy, this is going to be a great weekend. I'll have to make sure I stop and get some beer on the way home.

Good luck Ble!

Just make sure you get home before you crack one open.

I doubt your boss would mind and might even be interested in going along.

Back