Adidas Shackle Sneaks

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Adidas has sparked outrage and been accused of 'promoting slavery' by creating a new pair of trainers which have bright orange 'shackles' that fit around the wearer's ankles.

The clothing giant is under fire for its August scheduled release of the JS Roundhouse Mids, which many have compared to the devices worn by black slaves in 19th Century America.

The seemingly innocent promotional material, uploaded to Facebook earlier this month, asks: 'Got a sneaker game so hot you lock your kicks to your ankles?'

I guess some people are just spring loaded to see racism everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
And this is where my mind went when I saw the headline:

pinkfuzzyhandcuffs.JPG

Although the sneakers are far from what would be considered sexy...

Those critics are tarded, the cuffs aren't even locked together. And those chains are probably made from plastic, not really going to prevent any escapes are they. I can see these babies worth some money in the future as collectables.

wow people are overreacting...they are UGLY and don't look like slave shackles...they attach the shoe to the ankle, not the ankle to another person or to the other ankle...its probably more for keep the darn shoe on when kids wear the laces so loose the step out of them.

not sure who would ever buy a pair.

probably more a PR stunt...adidas is in the news for free. geeze people thought pumping air into your shoes was a crazy idea too...but it sold millions.

Adidas under fire for unveiling new trainer with orange 'shackles' like those worn by black slaves
Once again, I have learned something new from EB.com.
I had no idea the shackles worn by slaves were orange.

Good history lesson!

Last edited by a moderator:
Adidas under fire for unveiling new trainer with orange 'shackles' like those worn by black slaves
Once again, I have learned something new from EB.com.
I had no idea the shackles worn by slaves were orange.

Good history lesson!
I had no idea slave shackles shackled the ankle to the shoe. I was under the impression the legs were shackled together or two people were shackled together.

I guess that's what I get for watching all those women in prison films.

But the shackles *could* be used to tie your ankle to something other than your ankle.

Imagine the prank of swapping the shackles so that the right foot is tied to the left and vice versa. It would almost be like tieing someones shoelaces together like we did back in gradeschool...

What they should do is have multiple chains and multiple shackles so that the chains attached also to the wrists and back of the arms and to a spiky plastic collar around the neck (orange, of course) so then when you raised your arms, the chains would make an outline like wings.

That should be just stupid enough to sell another million units.

What they should do is have multiple chains and multiple shackles so that the chains attached also to the wrists and back of the arms and to a spiky plastic collar around the neck (orange, of course) so then when you raised your arms, the chains would make an outline like wings.

That should be just stupid enough to sell another million units.
Or chains connected to a 16lb bowling ball or poodle filled purse you can carry around with you.

Back