ACI Design Criteria for Reinforced Concrete

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gipper

I'm going to be taking the Civil PE test this April and I'm doing the Structural PM...right now I'm reviewing reinforced concrete in chapter 50 the CERM (10th edition). This is one of my weak areas since I don't have very much experience with reinforced concrete design, and I have a question about design critera. The following statement is in the CERM:

ACI 318 has two sets of design criteria for reinforced and prestressed concrete structural members: those for a so-called "unified design procedure" in the main body of the code, and those for a alternative (traditional ACI) design procedure in App. B.

For the example problems in chapter 50 of the CERM there are two solutions, one using the procedure in the main body of the ACI code and one using the procedure given in the appendix. My quesiton is: for the test, do I need to be familiar with both procedures? Or will I have the option of using either procedure?

Be familiar with both.

I would suggest making a study sheet with the chapter 9 equations and reduction factors and one with the appendix equations and factors. Maybe include a sample problem with each.

i believe that answers will accomodate both methods. However, the current design code is in the main body and not in the Appendicies. The methoid in the Appendix is carried so that people familiar with the previous editions of the code don't have to immediately give up the methods that they are used to.

Bottom line is that if you're just learning the code, I suggest that you spend study time becoming familiar with the main body and not waste time following the Appendicies.

My 0.02

Thanks for the answer MA_PE. My study time is somewhat limited, so I really need to cut out anything that isn't essential for the test. I appreciate your help very much!

On last April's exam the ACI questions were based on the criteria in the main body and NOT the appendix. There was a relatively easy question that simply required you to calculate the design moment based on a given live load and dead load. Since I was more familiar with the appendix criteria, I quickly ran the numbers and found that I didn't match any of the answer choices. So I re-ran the numbers using the main body criteria and, wouldn't ya know, got an exact match.

It's kinda annoying that CERM solves these problems using both methods. They should be up-front and tell you that only the main body criteria will be used during the exam and that being familiar with the appendix criteria won't get you anywhere, as far the test goes.

If you're craming, I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time in the appendix.
scottiesei, is there an imposter on this thread or am I dreaming? It's kinda like that coffee shop in India that's getting sued for calling their business "Starstrucks" and simply putting famous people on the walls.

scottiesei, is there an imposter on this thread or am I dreaming? It's kinda like that coffee shop in India that's getting sued for calling their business "Starstrucks" and simply putting famous people on the walls.
Hahaha yeah, I know... similar name as the other guy. I've been using "scottiei" since around 1996 for good ole' AOL purposes. Glad to see there are other "scottie...'s" out there though :D

Latest posts

Back