10 failed doomsday predictions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
With the upcoming disaster film "2012" and the current hype about Mayan calendars and doomsday predictions, it seems like a good time to put such notions in context.

Most prophets of doom come from a religious perspective, though the secular crowd has caused its share of scares as well. One thing the doomsday scenarios tend to share in common: They don't come to pass.

Here are 10 that didn't pan out, so far:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/10fail...sdaypredictions

Plus, a brief history of the Apocolypse!

http://www.abhota.info/end1.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy them before it's too late!!!

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...earch=emergancy food&Mo=20&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=4001055&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=emergancy food&Ntt=emergancy food&No=8&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&s=1&topnav=&Nty=1&s=1

wheej.gif

Buy them before it's too late!!!
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...earch=emergancy food&Mo=20&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=4001055&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=emergancy food&Ntt=emergancy food&No=8&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&s=1&topnav=&Nty=1&s=1
Fantastic! 275 servings for $74.99. . .about $3.66 a serving - think i'd rather order off the $1 menu. :D

this is classic too:

"The Date of Manufacturing is printed on each individual packet. The Expiration Date for all the food is printed on a sticker on the outside of the bucket.

For best taste and nutritional value, use product before:

20 years of manufacturing date when stored at 60° F (16.6° C)

10 years of manufacturing date when stored at 70° F (21.1° C)"

Fantastic! 275 servings for $74.99. . .about $3.66 a serving - think i'd rather order off the $1 menu. :D this is classic too:

"The Date of Manufacturing is printed on each individual packet. The Expiration Date for all the food is printed on a sticker on the outside of the bucket.

For best taste and nutritional value, use product before:

20 years of manufacturing date when stored at 60° F (16.6° C)

10 years of manufacturing date when stored at 70° F (21.1° C)"

Actually, it's more like $.27 per serving...

Regardless, where am I going to get fresh water and a heat source when the apocalypse hits? Though I guess the flooding and burning buildings will suffice.

LOL, whoops i knew that didnt sound right - still rather order off the dollar menu

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favorite parties of the last century was the y2k movie night I held at my house a few days before New Year's Eve, 1999. We closed the typhoon shutters, had MREs (warmed with the included chemical heaters) for everybody and watched 'Trinity and Beyond' and then "Dr. Strangelove", and got truly shitfaced drinking B-52s. It was great!

One of my favorite parties of the last century was the y2k movie night I held at my house a few days before New Year's Eve, 1999. We closed the typhoon shutters, had MREs (warmed with the included chemical heaters) for everybody and watched 'Trinity and Beyond' and then "Dr. Strangelove", and got truly shitfaced drinking B-52s. It was great!
Wow, I think we had the same party here in Oregon. Except we got shitfaced on jello shots and jagerbombs. My roommate actually ate that night a MRE he had leftover from the Army. We determined it was at least 6 years old. The cheese pack smelled like feet and stunk up the whole house -he ate it anyway.

Sick.

Back in 82 the planets were supposed to align and rip the world asunder. End of the world parties in the middle of the week make for very sad tenth graders when they wake up the next day.

"Mom, I think I have the flu.."

Back