6 minute solutions, Problem 72

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktulu

Reaction score
The question asks for the approximate settlement of a piple group. The piles extend 30 feet into a 40 foot thick clay layer. The equation for settlement uses the initial effective stress at the midpoint of the clay layer (20 feet); However, the solution uses the pile length of 30 feet.

Is this a mistake in the 6 minute solution? I say you use the midpoint of the clay layer, as the equation states...

Thanks,

ktulu

did you check the errata listed on ppi's site?

I used to pull my hair out over questions only to find out they had a typo they havent corrected.

On the inside or back cover there should be alink to the errata for that book.

I checked the errata (still have it in my PE Review Notes) - there are two errata presented for this problem:

p. 20, Problem 72: Change the group pattern to "3 by 4". Change the structural load to "300 kips". (Steve Beadle)9/28/2004

p. 20, Problem 72: Change the options as follows: "(A ) 4 in, (B ) 8 in, (C ) 10 in, (D ) 19 in". (Daniel Braverman) 12/2/2004
I haven't had time to check the solution - I will check it when it get some time (maybe over lunch).

JR

JR,

I did not check the errata. I ended up going with my gut and working the problem the way I thought it should have been solved. The answer I got was 19", so I guess it I worked it correctly. I will, however, check the errata for other possible mistakes. Lord knows I have found a few.

Thanks,

ktulu

The question asks for the approximate settlement of a piple group. The piles extend 30 feet into a 40 foot thick clay layer. The equation for settlement uses the initial effective stress at the midpoint of the clay layer (20 feet); However, the solution uses the pile length of 30 feet.
Is this a mistake in the 6 minute solution? I say you use the midpoint of the clay layer, as the equation states...

Thanks,

ktulu
I am not going to be able to get to this until later .. I have a working lunch today. :joke:

I did want to point out that I skimmed over the problem and wanted to provide a brief setup so you can properly understand the problem.

When looking at pile group settlement in clay soils, you can apply three simplified assumptions. Those simplified assumptions are:

1. Assume the pile group to be a solid foundation with depth of 2/3rd length of piles;

2. Effective stress at mid-point of clay layer is used to compute settlement; and

3. Consolidation Settlement Equation (general form as applied to typical consolidation settlement problems).

Please note that when you are evaluating the mid-point in assumption #2, you are basing that mid-point from converting the pile group to the solid foundation with depth of 2/3 length of piles. The mid-point is then re-evaluated as the 'mid-layer' of the clay located between the bottom of the solid foundation and the bedrock.

So, for Problem 72, the problem statement indicates 40-ft of soft clay such that the piles are embedded to a depth of 30-ft. If we apply the 2/3rd length rule, that means that the 'equivalent' depth of the foundation is 20-ft below the resevoir bottom. If we take the bottom 20-ft (e.g. the 'unembedded' depth of the clay) and split it into two then the re-evaluated 'mid-layer' is located at 30-ft beneath the resevoir bottom.

I know that is a whole lot to take in without the benefit of a picture - I will update once I have a chance.

Also, I would point out that if you are not taking Geotech depth - this is not a specified problem on the exam. In other words, I would not get wrapped around the axle on this problem if you don't have to :screwloose:

JR

I am taking the Geotechnical PM session....

No need for a picture. I can see what you are talking about.

Thanks for the tips...

ktulu

Last edited by a moderator:
I am taking the Geotechnical PM session....
Good luck - that session tends to be difficult, even for folks with a little geotech background.

I scanned my solution and posted below in case anyone else was curious. The main contradiction I see in the problem is the method by which they find the midpoint of the clay layer.

Best of luck with continued preparation. Please let me know if there is anything else I can *TRY* to answer. :(

JR

Back