less references for future exams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EM_PS

shining like a lighter...
Reaction score
this from nspe update, Feb '10:

Closing the Book on the PE Exam?
Future candidates for the Principles and Practice of Engineering Exam may have to rely on fewer resources during testing, as exam administrators explore implementing a closed-book testing policy.

Jerry Carter, executive director of the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying, says that concerns over exam security may lead the organization to change its policy.

While the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam is a closed-book exam with the exception of some NCEES-provided references, PE exam takers can use unlimited references, as long as the references are bound. It has become common for candidates to show up for the exam with wagons, push carts, and suitcases of reference materials. "The problem is that if they bring in this much material, you don't know what information they may be taking from the exam away in that reference material," Carter says. "It's an obvious threat."

NCEES is surveying examinees about how many reference books they brought into the testing site and how many of these references were actually used. "In reality, for many of the discipline exams, they just need a few reference books," Carter says.

NCEES's Committee on Examinations for Professional Engineers, chaired by George Roman, P.E., will be reviewing the current policy in order to address issues surrounding security concerns and computer-based testing. The taskforce will be making recommendations about transitioning PE exams to computer-based testing at NCEES's next annual meeting.

Carter anticipates that the council could approve a course of action to transition to computer-based testing. "We need to get some controls in place to better police the exam site, and by doing so it helps to facilitate the process if we decide to move to computer-based testing," he says. [ return to top ]
there was a guy who showed up at the Oct exam with a large wagon, loaded with like 6 milk-crate size boxes just jammed with books & 3-ring binders. The proctors were even ribbing the guy before we were let in, askin him if he was planning on moving in...guy seemed to have no sense of humor.

this from nspe update, Feb '10:

Closing the Book on the PE Exam?
Future candidates for the Principles and Practice of Engineering Exam may have to rely on fewer resources during testing, as exam administrators explore implementing a closed-book testing policy.

Jerry Carter, executive director of the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying, says that concerns over exam security may lead the organization to change its policy.

While the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam is a closed-book exam with the exception of some NCEES-provided references, PE exam takers can use unlimited references, as long as the references are bound. It has become common for candidates to show up for the exam with wagons, push carts, and suitcases of reference materials. "The problem is that if they bring in this much material, you don't know what information they may be taking from the exam away in that reference material," Carter says. "It's an obvious threat."

NCEES is surveying examinees about how many reference books they brought into the testing site and how many of these references were actually used. "In reality, for many of the discipline exams, they just need a few reference books," Carter says.

NCEES's Committee on Examinations for Professional Engineers, chaired by George Roman, P.E., will be reviewing the current policy in order to address issues surrounding security concerns and computer-based testing. The taskforce will be making recommendations about transitioning PE exams to computer-based testing at NCEES's next annual meeting.

Carter anticipates that the council could approve a course of action to transition to computer-based testing. "We need to get some controls in place to better police the exam site, and by doing so it helps to facilitate the process if we decide to move to computer-based testing," he says. [ return to top ]
there was a guy who showed up at the Oct exam with a large wagon, loaded with like 6 milk-crate size boxes just jammed with books & 3-ring binders. The proctors were even ribbing the guy before we were let in, askin him if he was planning on moving in...guy seemed to have no sense of humor.
Interesting! Maybe this'll speed up results (hah).

Where ya been EM_PS?

^^

been around...my new credo of trying to minimize extraneous time on the pc outside of job search stuff and relevant or topical industry news so i don't atrophy too much. :p - that and it allows me to get more stuff done around the house anyways

^^been around...my new credo of trying to minimize extraneous time on the pc outside of job search stuff and relevant or topical industry news so i don't atrophy too much. :p - that and it allows me to get more stuff done around the house anyways
Good idea. I should do that too, but it would be harder for me than stopping overeating.

I think they must have a department called "those who sit around and think up stuff to worry about" :0

NCEES website list over a dozen references for the civil / transpo exams alone, I would personally hate to see them come up with an all inclusive reference book like the EIT.

Sure there are people who bring in more than they need but with the scope of the exam you dont really know what to bring and I would hate to fail the exam because you left two books at home you thought you didnt need and two questions cost you...

Last edited by a moderator:
i guess it really depends on which test you take. For those with lots of codes you would need more books. Just glad I don't have to deal with it anymore

I am one of those who take many. I find I cannot memerize everything, but I do know where to look. On the last exam, without getting into any details, I actually found the formula I needed and had with me in a pamplet that was put out in 1954, I have since taken the formulas from that and other pertinant publications and put them in a condensed format. When I am done I may post them on here.

Latest posts

Back