Hello from Switzerland

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

challenger_ss

Reaction score
Hi all

My name is Mario (31) and I'm from Switzerland. I graduated end of 2000 as Mech. Engineer. I'm the head of a steel support engineering department for electrical substations in Zürich.

We have some projects in US and Canada where I was first faced with "PE". I didn't know about that. My question is: Is it possible to get a PE outside of US/CAN? What would be the next steps?

Thank you in advance

Mario

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know much about Canada, but in the US, each state has their own method of licensing engineers. In most cases, you have to have a degree from an accredited engineering school and anywhere from 2 to 4 years of qualifying work experience (each state has their own definition of "qualifying work experience"). In addition, most states require a certain number of references from practicing engineers. From there, you need to take the PE exam in your field. The exam is the same no matter what state you take it in, BUT, once you pass the exam and fulfill the requirements for one state, you only get a license in THAT state... and you can only sign off on designs for that state.

For instance, I am licensed in the state of Texas. My old company did projects in Louisiana, but I couldn't sign off on them because I am only licensed in Texas.

Now, it is possible to get licensed in multiple states. You don't have to re-take the exam, but if the 2nd state requires more experience or more references, you have to fulfill those requirements before you can get licensed in that state. Also, each state charges money to be licensed. It varies from state to state, but I've heard anything from about $100 US per year up to $400 US per year. In most states, there are additional requirements if you let your license lapse, so you can't just pay for the license for 1 year, not use it for 5 years and then pay again in year 6 because you happen to have a project in that state.

I don't know what kinds of projects you are getting in the US, but unless they are all in one state, it probably isn't cost effective to try to get and stay licensed in a bunch of states for the occasional project. Also, the exam itself is very difficult. A LOT of engineers need to take it 2 or 3 (or 4 or more!) times before they pass it.

Thx fo your answer. I will never understand why a PE license is needed in every state since it say's "UNITED states".

Well the US is a big country. Different states have different engineering challenges to tackle (e.g. permafrost in Alaska, earthquakes in California, etc), so each state is allowed to have their own requirements for a PE license beyond the test.

Well the US is a big country. Different states have different engineering challenges to tackle (e.g. permafrost in Alaska, earthquakes in California, etc), so each state is allowed to have their own requirements for a PE license beyond the test.
I understand that. We have projects in Siberia where I have to forsee steel structures at -50°C, projects in Mexico where I have to consider extremely huge earthquakes acc. IEEE 693-2005 0.5g RRS. I was never faced before with the question if I'm able to do this an that in a certain country. Doesn't matter whicht climate

or environmental condition I meet, I have to be ready for them all.

Latest posts

Back