The Most Disgusting, Completely Organic Thing I've Ever Seen

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolverine

Uncanny Pompadour
Reaction score
So I'm picking up the kids, kind of standing around in front waiting for them to gather themselves together, when what to my wandering eyes doth appear, something very strange in the flowerbed.

At first I thought it was a fake bloody finger, left over from Halloween maybe, planted in the ground.

Then I looked closer and saw that it was covered in slimy poo.

Curiosity consumed me and I looked even closer. It was some kind of funky, reddish stalk, about the size of a forefinger, and it looked like a dog-penis tipped with diarhea.

I poked it with a stick and found it spongy. A stronger poke and the stalk fell over to reveal a hollow inside. In 40 years, I had never seen anything like this.

I poked the stick around in the soil to see from whence this thing emanated and up came a hard white bulb with a slimy skin around it. At first I took it to be a large bug larvae, but then I poked it and pulled off the "skin" to reveal a nubby core underneath, I thought it looked more like a testicle or a piece of a gall bladder or something.

So now I'm starting to think that maybe the old sick dog has crapped out part of her internal organs or something, because I can't figure out what this nasty thing is.

I came back to the house very disturbed.

So I googled "slimy fungus". Eureka!

Behold, "The Stinkhorn Mushroom" [<-linky], the most disgusting, organic, completely natural thing I have ever seen.

Read More Here

Last edited by a moderator:
Fortunately for John Wayne Bobbit, Lorena was no where near a Stinkhorn patch during her midnight get away drive. Or was she?

Mutinus2.jpg

Last fall, we were planting some bulbs in a mulch bed in the front yard. We encountered whatever the New England equivalent of those things are. It was gross. I made the mistake of just ripping one out of the ground and got completely slimed.

Perfect picture Wolverine! Just what I need to scare my kids straight into abstinence.

This thread is lacking a "red rocket" reference.

Back