self healing concrete

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EM_PS

shining like a lighter...
Reaction score
this is pretty sick technology!

Self-healing Concrete for Safer, More Durable Infrastructure Science Daily (04/24/09)

University of Michigan researchers have developed a new self-healing concrete that can repair its own cracks without human intervention, using only naturally occurring water and carbon dioxide. A few rainy days could mend a damaged bridge using this kind of concrete, called Engineered Cement Composite (ECC), which is made to bend and crack in narrow hairlines. "We've created a material with such tiny crack widths that it takes care of the healing by itself. Even if you overload it, the cracks stay small," said Victor Li, the E. Benjamin Wylie Collegiate Professor of Civil Engineering and a professor of Materials Science and Engineering. Li's researchers found that self-healed specimens were able to get back most or all of their original strength after being subjected to a 3 percent tensile strain, enough to cause catastrophic breakage in traditional concrete. "We found, to our happy surprise, that when we load it again after it heals, it behaves just like new, with practically the same stiffness and strength," Li said. The research team has been working for 15 years to develop ECC, which is flexible and studded with reinforcing fibers that make it behave more like a metal than a traditional concrete. The research has been published online in the journal Cement and Concrete Research and will also appear in a forthcoming print edition.

(http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090422175336.htm)

I can't even imagine all the manhours that stuff would have saved us. 21.6% of ALL NCR's issued on our sites for 2008 were concrete related, and almost all of them were from foundation cracks.

I'm not sure I understand what this is doing. Concrete strength is in compression not tension. healing of cracks is to prevent detrimental loss of proctective concrete coating over the tensile reinforcement. How can it "get its strength back?"

You don't design unreinforced concrete for a tensile application.

How does this differ from typical autogenous healing?

I can't even imagine all the manhours that stuff would have saved us. 21.6% of ALL NCR's issued on our sites for 2008 were concrete related, and almost all of them were from foundation cracks.
foundation cracks from loading or shrinkage?

I'm not sure I understand what this is doing. Concrete strength is in compression not tension. healing of cracks is to prevent detrimental loss of proctective concrete coating over the tensile reinforcement. How can it "get its strength back?"
You don't design unreinforced concrete for a tensile application.

How does this differ from typical autogenous healing?
If you read the whole article, it sounds like it's not intended to be used the same way traditional concrete is used. It sounds like it's concrete that acts like steel... so reinforcing would not be needed... in traditional concrete, cracks lead to corrosion of the reinforcement... with this stuff, the cracks heal themselves, AND it has it's own tensile strength, so the steel isn't even needed.

Pretty cool if it's cost effective.

If you read the whole article, it sounds like it's not intended to be used the same way traditional concrete is used. It sounds like it's concrete that acts like steel... so reinforcing would not be needed... in traditional concrete, cracks lead to corrosion of the reinforcement... with this stuff, the cracks heal themselves, AND it has it's own tensile strength, so the steel isn't even needed.
Pretty cool if it's cost effective.
I didn't know that there was more at the URL.

I still have a problem with the way this is presented.

More flexible than traditional concrete, ECC acts more like metal than glass. Traditional concrete is considered a ceramic. Brittle and rigid, it can suffer catastrophic failure when strained in an earthquake or by routine overuse, Li said. But flexible ECC bends without breaking. It is studded with specially-coated reinforcing fibers that hold it together. ECC remains intact and safe to use at tensile strains up to 5 percent. Traditional concrete fractures and can’t carry a load at .01 percent tensile strain.
Fiber reinforced concrete has been around for a while. Their improvement seems to be a cement-based? matrix that has flexibility. Note that there is no mention of the properties versus traditional concrete. Modulus? Quantified tensile strength?

Today, builders reinforce concrete structures with steel bars to keep cracks as small as possible. But they’re not small enough to heal, so water and deicing salts can penetrate to the steel, causing corrosion that further weakens the structure. Li’s self-healing concrete needs no steel reinforcement to keep crack width tight, so it eliminates corrosion.
reinforcing for crack control under service loads is only one of the criteria checked. I believe that this material would still need reinforcement for flexural and shear strength.

Pretty wild if its cementitous and they can bend it that much. There are others working on "polymer concrete" similar to this. So far as I understand it the polymers are too expensive for commercial use replacing good ol' concrete.

Supe: not knowing how this stuff cures it may or may not improve the shrinkage crack situation. If it shrinks a lot you'll get gaps at the forms.

Last edited by a moderator:
It uses CO2. Uncle Al told us CO2 was bad. This concrete is just as bad as the stinky old car!

Back