Difficulty of 6 minute solutions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spidershawn

Reaction score
Has anyone that has worked the depth portion of the WR/ENV Six Minute Solutions book found it more difficult than practice problems from other sources? Is the difficulty of this book any representation of the actual exam?

Has anyone that has worked the depth portion of the WR/ENV Six Minute Solutions book found it more difficult than practice problems from other sources? Is the difficulty of this book any representation of the actual exam?
I'm certain you'll find the actual exam has lots of easier questions... but the fundamental principles being worked are very similar. Don't worry if you have trouble doing the problems in six minutes the first time through. By the time you're ready for the exam you should be able to work all those problems in under six minutes - but that's not hard given you've got the solutions in front of you.

I just finished my first round of the depth portion of the WR/ENV 6 Min Solutions. A couple of thoughts and questions:

1. I thought the breadth questions were fair and pretty straightforward.

2. I thought that about 1/2+ of the depth questions were obscure...there were several formulas I've never seen before and I've been studying for 2+ months. I've heard these questions are harder than the actual exam but going through them, they basically scared the crap out of me.

3. I still have the NCEES Sample Exam Questions to go through but I want to wait another week or 2 before I attack it. I've heard this is more representative of the test.

Any comments/advice?

I just finished my first round of the depth portion of the WR/ENV 6 Min Solutions. A couple of thoughts and questions:

2. I thought that about 1/2+ of the depth questions were obscure...there were several formulas I've never seen before and I've been studying for 2+ months. I've heard these questions are harder than the actual exam but going through them, they basically scared the crap out of me.

3. I still have the NCEES Sample Exam Questions to go through but I want to wait another week or 2 before I attack it. I've heard this is more representative of the test.

Any comments/advice?
Please give a few examples of obscure formulas...

Any comments/advice?
Hey,

I felt the same way. I have seen new formulas that are not their in CERM. I completed my first round, but i don't know whether it's worth spending time or not on this again.....Any suggestions on this.....

I have NCESS sample questions 2008 & 2000 version. I am thinking to attack them now..any suggestions on attacking them now or one week before exam.....If you any other suggestions, Plz let me know....

Thanks in Advance

Hey,
I felt the same way. I have seen new formulas that are not their in CERM. I completed my first round, but i don't know whether it's worth spending time or not on this again.....Any suggestions on this.....

I have NCESS sample questions 2008 & 2000 version. I am thinking to attack them now..any suggestions on attacking them now or one week before exam.....If you any other suggestions, Plz let me know....

Thanks in Advance
I made comments else where about the six-minute and PE samples, but here you go again....I felt like they were INTENTIONALLY time consuming! While searching for formulas though it takes you more time to complete it will also force you to read and compare a couple of references. If you have time to spare it's OK to go over it agan but I didn't do it myself, I was just tired after that. On the real exam you almost always will get all the info (inculding parameters) along with the equation unambiguously so you are covered there.

About doing the NCEES exam, I would say do it now and I felt like doing the NCEES exam again one week before the exam would be a good idea. I did it the weekend before the exam, timing myself and that gives you an idea on how you should perform and manage your time. Working the 2000 version (I did all of it except the structural depth) is priceless. I encourage you to do that. You will thank me later. the ENV depth in the old NCEES are a bit thougher than what I actually saw in the new ENV/WR combo so that will give you enough depth.

Good luck to all

I made comments else where about the six-minute and PE samples, but here you go again....I felt like they were INTENTIONALLY time consuming! While searching for formulas though it takes you more time to complete it will also force you to read and compare a couple of references. If you have time to spare it's OK to go over it agan but I didn't do it myself, I was just tired after that. On the real exam you almost always will get all the info (inculding parameters) along with the equation unambiguously so you are covered there.
About doing the NCEES exam, I would say do it now and I felt like doing the NCEES exam again one week before the exam would be a good idea. I did it the weekend before the exam, timing myself and that gives you an idea on how you should perform and manage your time. Working the 2000 version (I did all of it except the structural depth) is priceless. I encourage you to do that. You will thank me later. the ENV depth in the old NCEES are a bit thougher than what I actually saw in the new ENV/WR combo so that will give you enough depth.

Good luck to all
I meant to say information on which equation that you should use and it's all in the CERM

Please give a few examples of obscure formulas...
Just a few examples:

1. Exposure factors for ingestion of soil by children. ADD = C(DI)/BW, HQ (hazard quotient) = ADD/RfD

I had never even heard or even considered a problem like this.

2. .5C/Co = erfc (L-Vxt)/(2sqrt(Dlt). This equation has to do with hydrodynamic dispersion.

3. Henry's Constant problem. K'h= (KhMWw)/(pR*T)

Those are just a few. My main references are CERM, Metcalf & Eddy, Handbook of Environmental Engineering Calculations, Hydrology & Hydraulic Systems by Gupta, an Environmental Engineering Dictionary, and a Flood Plain analysis book.

I have gone over each of my references and tabbed many things but it seems like the 6 Min Sols depth problems are obscure in my opinion. If those problems were the actual test, no doubt I would have bombed the afternoon portion.

Good luck to all

Thanks Tido,

I will solve NCEES New & Old versions. I have this 101 solved civil engineering problems by Lindeburg. Any suggestion on this....

Practising 6-min, NCEES New & Old version ....will be enough....for the exam??

I am kind of weak in Structures part....which is my concern in the Morning exam......Any suggestions ...

Thanks in Advance!

Thanks Tido,
I will solve NCEES New & Old versions. I have this 101 solved civil engineering problems by Lindeburg. Any suggestion on this....

Practising 6-min, NCEES New & Old version ....will be enough....for the exam??

I am kind of weak in Structures part....which is my concern in the Morning exam......Any suggestions ...

Thanks in Advance!
You will be OK. Don't worry about the morning structural part. Those questions can be asnwered with your FE knowledge. The NCEES samples are the best for that. I actually found that is very similar to what's in NCEES sample.

I didn't have the 101 solved sample and I am not sure if that is colse to the CIVIL PE sample he has....

You will be OK. Don't worry about the morning structural part. Those questions can be asnwered with your FE knowledge. The NCEES samples are the best for that. I actually found that is very similar to what's in NCEES sample.
I didn't have the 101 solved sample and I am not sure if that is colse to the CIVIL PE sample he has....

Thanks Tido!

If you can work through all the 6 minute solutions problems you will be sufficiently prepared for the PE exam....alot of the PE questions are much easier.

Back