Environmental part of the WR Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disclaimer: I took the dedicated, 100-question enviro exam and own only the ENVRM, not the CERM.

Nevertheless, I have looked through a co-worker's CERM and am fairly certain that most of the chapters in the CERM are identical to the corresponding chapters in the ENVRM. That said, looking at the new NCEES exam specs, I think you'd be better off with a few additional texts covering groundwater, wastewater treatment, and perhaps even hydrology.

That's if you want to be certain to be able to answer all possible questions. If you don't mind missing a few questions here and there that might not be covered by the CERM, and are willing to take the risk that this may drop your final score below the passing grade, then the CERM alone might be enough for you. I doubt it, but it's been done before.

Last edited by a moderator:
My answer: It depends.

I think that the CERM doesn't provide very good treatment of environmental topics in general. I ended up using other references for water treatement, wastewater treatment, groundwater, and other environmental topics.

That answer will be even more nebulous because water resources will be combined with environmental where it appears that many environmental subjects have been trimmed but if you look carefully, they seem to still be present.

Do you have any specific questions regarding problem types or books?

JR

My answer: It depends.
I think that the CERM doesn't provide very good treatment of environmental topics in general. I ended up using other references for water treatement, wastewater treatment, groundwater, and other environmental topics.

That answer will be even more nebulous because water resources will be combined with environmental where it appears that many environmental subjects have been trimmed but if you look carefully, they seem to still be present.

Do you have any specific questions regarding problem types or books?

JR
Thanks for the info. What do you think about the Wastewater Handbook for Metcalf & Eddy. Is it important to have? Which other books do you recommend for the exam?

Thanks for the info. What do you think about the Wastewater Handbook for Metcalf & Eddy. Is it important to have? Which other books do you recommend for the exam?
IMHO, the Metcalf & Eddy text was essential because I have been so-far removed from doing wastewater treatment problems that I needed to be able to have a straight-forward guide that offered a cookie cutter approach. I didn't feel that the CERM didn't do well in providing information regarding wastwater treatment.

The other texts that I used are listed in JRs Text References for PE Exam

If you are focusing on WR, I would also HIGHLY recommend the Ram Gupta book. It is an excellent practioners book that provides lots of charts and tables as well as clearly explained examples and methodologies for problem-solving.

As you are preparing if you have questions, please post them here in the forum!

JR

Metcalf & Eddy is very good, but only if you're prepared to get to know it. It's the standard, and I use it at work all the time. Answered a few questions on the ENV PE almost straight out of it, which were NOT in the ENVRM.

I like Applied Hydrogeology by Fetter, too. But I can't think right now if that was only good for groundwater contamination, or for general groundwater problems. I'm not sure, but I think the Civil WR/enviro covers just GW resources, not so much contaminant hydrology????

Metcalf & Eddy is very good, but only if you're prepared to get to know it. It's the standard, and I use it at work all the time. Answered a few questions on the ENV PE almost straight out of it, which were NOT in the ENVRM.
That is COMPLETELY true - I did need to use the text in order to make sure I could work answers from it. I had used Metcalf & Eddy extensively in my undergrad education (Env Eng), so it wasn't like starting all over.

Strong recommendation: If you get ANY text - start solving problems with it! Otherwise, it will not turn out to be the resource you thought.

I like Applied Hydrogeology by Fetter, too. But I can't think right now if that was only good for groundwater contamination, or for general groundwater problems. I'm not sure, but I think the Civil WR/enviro covers just GW resources, not so much contaminant hydrology????
The Fetter text covers groundwater mechanics as well as contaminant hydrology. Contaminant hydrology IS fair game for the Civil PE/Env Depth section. Now, based on the revised specification where they combined Env/WR - I couldn't say the same with much confidence.

If you have access to the Fetter text - I say take it!! Contaminant groundwater hydrology is at the core of what I do, so it is all good for me! :thumbs:

JR

I passed the CE with Environmental Depth from this past October and M&E definitely helped me on a number of problems. (One in particular I would NEVER have been able to attempt without it.)

But with the new afternoon topics, I'm not sure. I had a couple over groundwater and hydrology textbooks as well but used M&E primarily while studying for the test and during the test itself.

Back