free lance jobs for PE license holders?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

Nelson ME

Any ideas out there for free lance jobs requiring a PE stamp? I imagine there's a fair amount of HVAC work, but as my experience is more for plumbing and power plant equipment I'd like to know what the possibilities are for finding extra work on the side involving use of my PE stamp. Thanks!

Out side of HVAC, I don't know that there is a whole lot of use for a Mechanical lisence. It does come up though. I know that is is required for gas turbines, but I dont think there is much free lance work in that area. If you teamed up with a structural eng you might be able to stamp plans for fluid processing plants (the process side) or other plumbing factories...

Any ideas out there for free lance jobs requiring a PE stamp? I imagine there's a fair amount of HVAC work, but as my experience is more for plumbing and power plant equipment I'd like to know what the possibilities are for finding extra work on the side involving use of my PE stamp. Thanks!
Besides asking here in this great site, you may also want to check out the eng-tips dot com website. There are a lot of folks there who will point you in the right direction. Theres a lot of older folks on there with a LOT of experience in the Engineering field...

Not 100% sure but I think that a Mechanical PE will qualify to get the certifications in Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspection and Elevators and Electric Stairs Inspection. At least last time I checked, you need to be a PE to be able to get those certifications.

Why not sizing culverts or small flow treatment plants? Here in PA, the culvert and wwtp plans need to be stamped by an engineer in order to get a permit. I know of quite a few engineers who freelance on the side doing small flow wastewater stuff.

Heck, there's an SEO here in one county, who does the designs for small flow plants, and has an agreement with an engineer to stamp his drawings. The engineer get $1000 per stamp... pretty shady, though, if you ask me.

I would do it myself (not stamp SEO drawings, but freelance), but it's conflict of interest right now. Maybe in the next year if I get a new job outside of government.

Brian

I've heard calculating wastewater flow is one of the most difficult tasks in engineering. The source of that lacks credibility, though.

I've heard calculating wastewater flow is one of the most difficult tasks in engineering. The source of that lacks credibility, though.
I've heard the work is irregular, shitty, and frequently backs up. Personally the thought of it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

sorry. Had to chime in; not my best work.

Why not sizing culverts or small flow treatment plants? Here in PA, the culvert and wwtp plans need to be stamped by an engineer in order to get a permit. I know of quite a few engineers who freelance on the side doing small flow wastewater stuff.
Heck, there's an SEO here in one county, who does the designs for small flow plants, and has an agreement with an engineer to stamp his drawings. The engineer get $1000 per stamp... pretty shady, though, if you ask me.

I would do it myself (not stamp SEO drawings, but freelance), but it's conflict of interest right now. Maybe in the next year if I get a new job outside of government.

Brian
"Rubber stamping" is usually against the rules and could lead to disciplinary actions from your board...

And aside from that, as a regulator who must review the plans of small flow systems and culverts, etc., I plead with all of you: please do not jump into something you are not competent at! Some of these systems may be realitively simple to design, but some are not and of course, site-specific situations quite often require a more in-depth knowledge of the subject than simply just plopping down a pre-engineered treatment plant in the right place on a lot. These things do have an effect on the environment and public health, you know...

^^ Dleg hit the nail on the head.

Watch what you try to engineer. It will be your ass on the line!

Not 100% sure but I think that a Mechanical PE will qualify to get the certifications in Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspection and Elevators and Electric Stairs Inspection. At least last time I checked, you need to be a PE to be able to get those certifications.
You absolutely don't need a PE (or even an engineering degree) to get certified as an Elevator Inspector. A lot of inspectors are former elevator mechanics and adjusters, many of whom never went to college. The QEI-1 test isn't difficult to pass for someone in the industry. A17 is a fairly straightforward code (although VERY long). However, you usually need industry experience just to take the QEI test.

I work in the industry as a mechanical engineer and in no way would I consider myself qualified to actually perform an elevator safety inspection.

Back