NCEES Practice exam problem 135 question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky Bill PE

Senior, Master, Professional, Licensed Electrical
Reaction score
God what a long miserable F'in day. 

Anyways, I can't seem to find this 2'-7". I am using the 2018 70E book, the problem says 2015, the NCEES specifications says to use 2018. Can someone plz let me know if this value changed or if I"m looking at something wrong.  I used the graph on AC, to go from 34.5 kV over to "exposed circuit parts" since it says it has live exposed rigid bus. 

image.pngimage.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the approach boundary in this case changed from 2'-7" in 2015 to 2'-9" in 2018.

I brought this up last year when someone asked me if they thought it was ok to just bring the 2015 NFPA 70E to the exam.  I said "at your own risk" and cited this exact problem.

Yes the approach boundary in this case changed from 2'-7" in 2015 to 2'-9" in 2018.

I brought this up last year when someone asked me if they thought it was ok to just bring the 2015 NFPA 70E to the exam.  I said "at your own risk" and cited this exact problem.
Why is it 2'-9" in column 4 instead of column 3? 3 is for exposed parts and it says there is exposed energized bus. 

Because the problem states that the maintenance is being done by a "qualified person", therefore they are subject to the restricted approach boundary..
Thanks boss! Excited to pull it back up to see where it told me to use that column if it's a qualified person! That 100% is exactly what I was missing!

Here's the "gotcha" part I was looking for: 

These are the type of problems I honestly don't see how anyone could get this right on first try. It's like you have to get screwed once to learn from the ignorance. I told my wife that was the most disheartening thing about taking the practice exam. The other exams I have took I felt I got it right, or wrong. Not crap like this. :(

image.png

Back