Dont end up like this guy.. - Page 3 - Anything about the PE Exam - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Dleg

Dont end up like this guy..

I also remember reading in the NCEES article that not only did they nullify his results, the state was going to prevent him from retaking the exam in the future.

QUOTE (mwchandler21 @ Apr 24 2010, 06:41 PM)

What I don't get is why the NCEES recycles questions. The questions themselves on the test are not that tricky or unusual. As many times as some people take the test it would seem they possibly have seen a majority of the questions. Would it not be easier to keep the test secure to just write a new test each time? I took a class in college where the teacher used the same test over and over again. He graded it, showed to the students, then took it back up. One semester nearly the entire class scored a hundred. It is impossible to keep an exam secure if you keep using the same questions.

NCEES has several questions graded as a "standard". These questions are used for evaluating the pool of candidates and setting the passing score. I believe that I read this somewhere in the NCEES scoring method explanation. This is why it is necessary that all the questions remain confidential. Also, NCEES considers these questions as intellectual property since a lot of time, effort, and money are spent to make the pool of questions that can be put on the test. I guess that this is similar to piracy or sharing the copyrighted material. NCEES reserves the right to the questions which in my opinion is only fair.

I agree with Vishal, the pool of "equating" questions to evaluate the examinees is very important to the scoring process. These questions NEED to remain the same and cannot be comprimised.

One of my ex-coworker went through the same thing as what is talked here. But I know, that guy eventually got his P.E. He did said that his scores were invalidated in that exam due to his some crazy mistake. who knows!!

Lesson is to just be patient & keep mouth shut after the exams.

I also read somewhere how each test question costs NCEES something like $100k. I could be wrong on the figure, but it was a high figure.

I make certification exams as part of my job, for something much simpler than this. It's tough to come up with even 10 new questions every six months, for a 25 question exam. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to come up with 80 or 100 new questions, and have each question validated through the process NCEES uses.

My dad used to write questions for the industrial exam. They require that you provide the question, solution, all work for the solution shown, and other possible answers based on common screw-ups in formula application or other math errors. Then, there is a big meeting of academics that are members of NCEES. They all take full exams of potential test questions, and grade their difficulty, quality, etc. Some of those questions make it into the test pool, then have to be analyzed based on how examinees did on them. Then they are able to be "equated" for future exams. When that whole process has to be repeated 80 times whenever an entire test is compromised, NCEES tends to get pretty pissed. That's why a girl in Puerto Rico recently got sued for $1 Million for compromising a PE exam. The NCEES won that lawsuit.

My dad used to write questions for the industrial exam. They require that you provide the question, solution, all work for the solution shown, and other possible answers based on common screw-ups in formula application or other math errors. Then, there is a big meeting of academics that are members of NCEES. They all take full exams of potential test questions, and grade their difficulty, quality, etc. Some of those questions make it into the test pool, then have to be analyzed based on how examinees did on them. Then they are able to be "equated" for future exams. When that whole process has to be repeated 80 times whenever an entire test is compromised, NCEES tends to get pretty pissed. That's why a girl in Puerto Rico recently got sued for $1 Million for compromising a PE exam. The NCEES won that lawsuit.

The girl was making fatty money, but not millions, with that business of her but she was not alone. She was just the pawn. I heard that there were at least two guys involved in that. I never followed the whole story but would like to know what did happen to the others in the scheme. By the way, no way in heck she has 1M to pay NCEES.

Thanks for the lesson on how the test are selected WilH. Very interesting.

We did have problems with some of our archives when we launched the new website. Here's a PDF of the Licensure Exchange article from June 2007.

Page_5_from_LEx_June_07_for_Web.pdf

Thanks Mr. Miller. The article has your screen name slightly wrong. So, whatever happened to the candidate? Did his state board allow him to re-take the exam? (just curious)

Thanks Mr. Miller. The article has your screen name slightly wrong. So, whatever happened to the candidate? Did his state board allow him to re-take the exam? (just curious)

I can't speak for Tim, but my strong guess is HELL NO! You get one crack at ethics, and once you screw that up, no state board should allow you to sit for the exam.

Just a little bumperoonie. They take the exam security very seriously, and for good reason.

Is it ok to say something like, my exam seemed to have more question on topic blah-blah than I thought it would?

Or, my exam had questions on (some subtopic of blah-blah not explicitly listed on the topics page)?

Is it ok to say something like, my exam seemed to have more question on topic blah-blah than I thought it would?

Or, my exam had questions on (some subtopic of blah-blah not explicitly listed on the topics page)?

NOPE

• Like 2

It's almost better to just say nothing at all. But if you have to say something, be very vague, and general. Here are some acceptable comment:

I thought the exam was harder than I was expecting. I am kicking myself because I missed an easy one. I'm stoked because there were some questions that I totally nailed!

• Like 1

No Rambo...Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!

WOW, the guy that this thread is originally about is a MOOOOORRRROOOOONNNNNNNSSSKKKKIIIII

• Like 1

With the PE exam a few days away all test takers should take the time to read this thread.

Best of luck to all test takers and please remember your NCEES agreement.

:bump:

• Like 1

or don't. and give us all something to point and laugh at.

BlaringWavyKillerwhale.gif

• Like 1

or don't. and give us all something to point and laugh at.

BlaringWavyKillerwhale.gif

That's just wrong NJ. Funny but wrong.

Also, don't try to hack into the exam results notification memo, just trust me on this, even if it was not really intended to be malicious.

• Like 3