hydrology equation in the NCEES reference handbook? - Environmental Exam - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
engineer123

hydrology equation in the NCEES reference handbook?

I'm having trouble understanding the storm return period equation on Page 32 of the NCEES reference handbook. It says:

The probability that a T-year return period event will occur at least once in n years is P = 1 - (1/T)^n

However, in my Intro to Environmental Eng textbook, the risk that the event will be equaled or exceeded at least once in n years is:

R = 1 - ( 1 - 1/T)^n

You get different answers obviously if you plug in the variables, but essentially it seems both are asking for the probability that the event will occur at least once in n years. What is the difference between these two equations? Is the one in the NCEES handbook incorrect? o.O

Edited by engineer123

The most current Environmental Reference Handbook has the equation shown as P=1-(1-(1/T))^n. You may be using an older version of the handbook.

@engineer123You got it! I also noticed it was incorrect a couple months ago and was worried they wouldn't update it, so I feel your pain haha..

When are you schedule to take the exam? I signed up for April 8th but I'm getting worried, it seems like everyone is waiting to take it until the first CBT "victims" post their experience.

Edited by GirlsCanDesign

@GirlsCanDesignI downloaded the handbook probably back in January so I didn't think they'd update it so fast haha

I started studying last month and nowhere near ready to take the exam due to my work schedule. I definitely need many more months of studying, so I won't know when to take the exam until I feel ready lol

Best of luck to you though! I hope this exam will be "fair" enough with just using the NCEES handbook :) Perhaps it might be better than the paper version!

@engineer123I certainly hope so! I took the paper exam in October as my first attempt and unfortunately did not pass. I do blame a lot of that on spending a lot of (unnecessary) time "tabbing" and trying to locate solutions to problems rather than actually learning the content. I feel pretty comfortable with the reference handbook for my studying this time, my only concern now is how many theory questions may pop on the exam, which I doubt will be found in the handbook.

Best of luck in your studying, fingers crossed the CBT helps rather than hurts!

Edited by GirlsCanDesign
  • Like 1