2019 Engineer Boards Salary Survey - Page 2 - EB.COM Salary Surveys - Engineer Boards
Jump to content
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Road Guy

2019 Engineer Boards Salary Survey

Recommended Posts

Civil appears to be there?

Is there a way I can make it where you cant wholesale delete the whole thing?

 

About time for 2020 anyways!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Road Guy said:

Civil appears to be there?

Is there a way I can make it where you cant wholesale delete the whole thing?

 

About time for 2020 anyways!

I think you can make a form system so someone fills out their information but can't edit anything else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2019 at 11:09 AM, tj_PE said:

I think you can make a form system so someone fills out their information but can't edit anything else. 

You should also be able to review the changes made, in file, version history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should be open without having to request access - thanks to all for adding data!  no sense to pay ASCE for their $2000 salary survey!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope. Someone seemed  to have locked it down. Now it's "view only"

image.png.c9b42d43eba812901bd887466b56381d.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, jean15paul_PE said:

Nope. Someone seemed  to have locked it down. Now it's "view only"

image.png.c9b42d43eba812901bd887466b56381d.png

I requested access and it was granted 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Road Guy said:

sorry, technology sucks :D

So does my salary (just added mine...Smyrna, TN which is 25 mins south of Nashville).  Don't worry, by the time we get it all figured out, it will be 2020 and time to create another survey. 😁

Edited by MEtoEE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting @Road Guy.

Now the version history is tracking names. It wasn't before.

image.thumb.png.d53cd552d6f8ff0d23b8ad083921f215.png

  • Haha 1
  • fudgey 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Umm yeah this is not good.  I would like my name removed from being able to be viewed by the public.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New link shows up "view only. request access" again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe my eyes, we still have salary that are not 6 figures, its 2019!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try LESS THAN $75K with 15 years experience.  I've been designing lighting, power and fire alarm and draft my own designs (in AutoCAD MEP).  I work in the Nashville area and I get plenty of contacts from recruiters asking me to interview with this firm or that firm.  The feedback I'm getting is 2 major things are holding be back from getting hired by another firm:

1.  Not having my PE license.

2.  No Revit experience.

The first one I kind of understand.  Hopefully I'll know in the next few weeks if I passed or not and it's good news.  The second reason I really don't get.  I had a reputable MEP firm interview me and spent 4 hours during the interview and it was a good one.  However, they didn't hire me because I didn't know Revit (I took the course but none of my employers have ever used it).  It wouldn't take that long to learn and get acclimated with it.

What I'm saying is, I'm basically seeing a LOT of engineering firms get all excited and want to hire people, but when it comes down to it they all want to nit-pick and find the ONE item on their long list of desired qualities and when they find that ONE thing, they use it as an excuse to either not make the hire, or make a low-ball offer saying "you need to have more experience before we can offer $85K, $95K, etc."

So yes I'm on the market and searching for another firm, but I'm VERY cautious at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MEtoEE said:

Try LESS THAN $75K with 15 years experience.  I've been designing lighting, power and fire alarm and draft my own designs (in AutoCAD MEP).  I work in the Nashville area and I get plenty of contacts from recruiters asking me to interview with this firm or that firm.  The feedback I'm getting is 2 major things are holding be back from getting hired by another firm:

1.  Not having my PE license.

2.  No Revit experience.

The first one I kind of understand.  Hopefully I'll know in the next few weeks if I passed or not and it's good news.  The second reason I really don't get.  I had a reputable MEP firm interview me and spent 4 hours during the interview and it was a good one.  However, they didn't hire me because I didn't know Revit (I took the course but none of my employers have ever used it).  It wouldn't take that long to learn and get acclimated with it.

What I'm saying is, I'm basically seeing a LOT of engineering firms get all excited and want to hire people, but when it comes down to it they all want to nit-pick and find the ONE item on their long list of desired qualities and when they find that ONE thing, they use it as an excuse to either not make the hire, or make a low-ball offer saying "you need to have more experience before we can offer $85K, $95K, etc."

So yes I'm on the market and searching for another firm, but I'm VERY cautious at this point.

Not to sound rude, but you should have a left your company 10 years ago. Also, If you are working in Building systems/MEP then you should not have waited 15 years to get your PE. MEP is all about the PE!

Keep looking and be persistent. Make your LinkedIn profile pop out to recruiters. I was not thrilled with the salary grown I was getting compared to my responsibility/experience growth. I polished up my LinkedIn account and clicked that little "Looking" button. Two months later I had completed a few awesome interviews and found myself accepting a job with a 40% salary increase, amazing benefits, and a great work environment. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, phillstill said:

Not to sound rude, but you should have a left your company 10 years ago. Also, If you are working in Building systems/MEP then you should not have waited 15 years to get your PE. MEP is all about the PE!

Keep looking and be persistent. Make your LinkedIn profile pop out to recruiters. I was not thrilled with the salary grown I was getting compared to my responsibility/experience growth. I polished up my LinkedIn account and clicked that little "Looking" button. Two months later I had completed a few awesome interviews and found myself accepting a job with a 40% salary increase, amazing benefits, and a great work environment. 

 

Not taking it as rude and you are 100% on both points.  My biggest mistake/barrier was getting my degree in mechanical and jumping the fence to do electrical design.  However I've really enjoyed the lighting/power design. 

I appreciate your advice!  I'll look into polishing my LinkedIn account.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Vel2018 said:

I can't believe my eyes, we still have salary that are not 6 figures, its 2019!

 

 

Yeah, well to be fair, you're in NYC. Got to consider cost of living differences. NYC, Cali, DC, yeah 100k is nothing. Many other places have very different standards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jean15paul_PE said:

Yeah, well to be fair, you're in NYC. Got to consider cost of living differences. NYC, Cali, DC, yeah 100k is nothing. Many other places have very different standards.

Fair enough.  $100K is probably not a big deal either in the Nashville metro area, but I live in a rural area where the cost of living is way less so my salary doesn't kill me.  However, I still feel I'm underpaid but l accept most of the blame as "phillstill" pointed out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2019 at 2:22 PM, jean15paul_PE said:

Yeah, well to be fair, you're in NYC. Got to consider cost of living differences. NYC, Cali, DC, yeah 100k is nothing. Many other places have very different standards.

You'd be surprised, a lot of Design Engineers(non-PE) makes as low as $50k and on average $55-60k here in NYC. And some PE's as low as $75k-90k.

 

In my opinion, no PE should take that salary here in NYC. It's an insult. An average steel worker makes more than that. smh

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shoot. I know some electrical engineers in the MEP field making $18.65/hr.

Someone dun goofed up that Civil tab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2019 at 3:22 PM, MEtoEE said:

Try LESS THAN $75K with 15 years experience.  I've been designing lighting, power and fire alarm and draft my own designs (in AutoCAD MEP).  I work in the Nashville area and I get plenty of contacts from recruiters asking me to interview with this firm or that firm.  The feedback I'm getting is 2 major things are holding be back from getting hired by another firm:

1.  Not having my PE license.

2.  No Revit experience.

The first one I kind of understand.  Hopefully I'll know in the next few weeks if I passed or not and it's good news.  The second reason I really don't get.  I had a reputable MEP firm interview me and spent 4 hours during the interview and it was a good one.  However, they didn't hire me because I didn't know Revit (I took the course but none of my employers have ever used it).  It wouldn't take that long to learn and get acclimated with it.

What I'm saying is, I'm basically seeing a LOT of engineering firms get all excited and want to hire people, but when it comes down to it they all want to nit-pick and find the ONE item on their long list of desired qualities and when they find that ONE thing, they use it as an excuse to either not make the hire, or make a low-ball offer saying "you need to have more experience before we can offer $85K, $95K, etc."

So yes I'm on the market and searching for another firm, but I'm VERY cautious at this point.

We have a pretty good Revit training program.  We hire many folk with little experience.  Plus, at 15 years experience, my firm wants you kess in Revit and more making markups for the designers to get into Revit. 

Edited by vhab49_PE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I updated the Civil tab with the graph like the mechanical tab has. I didn't include the first entry, because 2,111,111 years of experience seems to be a statistical outlier.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I don't know why some of the civil entries are highlighted in green...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...