Taking the exam for the first time...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yves Laroche

Reaction score
I have one advise to everyone taking the PE exam for the first time; do everything you can to pass the exam. The re-takers rate is generally below 50%. Depending on your discipline, some repeaters rates are as low as 12%.

On exam day, focus on areas where you are comfortable; max out on them.

Good luck.

I think a big reason the pass rate is so low for people retaking the exam is if they think they were close the first time, they may not do much to change their study habits in between the first and second attempt. That's what happened with me.  For my third attempt, I completely overhauled my study habits to ensure I have a better chance of passing on Friday.

It's not that re-takers aren't capable of passing the exam - just that they may be clinging to certain habits that got them to fail the test in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a big reason the pass rate is so low for people retaking the exam is if they think they were close the first time, they may not do much to change their study habits in between the first and second attempt. That's what happened with me.  For my third attempt, I completely overhauled my study habits to ensure I have a better chance of passing on Friday.

It's not that re-takers aren't capable of passing the exam - just that they may be clinging to certain habits that got them to fail the test in the first place.
This. I’m a threepeat taker and my study habits changed big time for this exam (Environmental). I’ve spent almost no time doing any technical reading. I’ve accepted that if there’s a conceptual question on the exam, i.e., no math required, either my references have the answer or it doesn’t. This doesn’t mean I didn’t tab off my references so I can quickly jump to a certain chapter or topic.  

I’ve focused on working problems. Problems, problems, problems. Certain procedures and methods have been burned into my head. Haven’t reached the point where I’m seeing them in my sleep yet, but I’m sure that’ll happen in the next day or two 🤣

As long as you’ve adequately prepared for your specific exam, you should be fine

Haven’t reached the point where I’m seeing them in my sleep yet, but I’m sure that’ll happen in the next day or two 🤣
I am already to that point! Second time taker (TFS Exam) and I focused on doing as many problems as possible, some of which I did multiple times, and really understanding processes and what is going on. Looking back on my first go, I really didn't do as many problems as I should have to where you just know what you need to do automatically after you read the problem statement without much thinking and didn't have a good grasp on topics as I thought I did. 

Back