Allowed Items in Prometric Test Areas (CA)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gduren

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether if it is allowed to bring in a binder with reference pages inside sheet protectors? The reference material itself wouldn't be 3-hole punched but the sheet protector covering it would be. I know that sleeves or stapled material is not okay but couldn't find anything on this situation- unless sheet protectors are considered "sleeves".

Does anyone know whether if it is allowed to bring in a binder with reference pages inside sheet protectors? The reference material itself wouldn't be 3-hole punched but the sheet protector covering it would be. I know that sleeves or stapled material is not okay but couldn't find anything on this situation- unless sheet protectors are considered "sleeves".
I don't think this would be an issue. The issue is loose pages or stapled pages. I imagine their issue with sleeves is the same as loose or stapled. If the materials are held together by a binder I don't think they would have a problem. 

You could call and ask. I imagine they would clarify.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to contact the Board and Prometric to ask.  Those, especially the Board's, are the only answers that matter.

Thank you for your responses! I haven't called the Board about this with the idea that it would most likely be up to the individual checking me in at Prometric since I can't cite a phone call when they have a manual to follow right in front of them. I took the exam yesterday and the sheet protectors were not an issue; however I still brought a 3-hole puncher just in case. A friend of mine did the same and she was fine. For future test takers, I would bring a 3-hole puncher since this is still a grey area in the allowed reference manual.

Thank you for your responses! I haven't called the Board about this with the idea that it would most likely be up to the individual checking me in at Prometric since I can't cite a phone call when they have a manual to follow right in front of them. I took the exam yesterday and the sheet protectors were not an issue; however I still brought a 3-hole puncher just in case. A friend of mine did the same and she was fine. For future test takers, I would bring a 3-hole puncher since this is still a grey area in the allowed reference manual.
"...can't cite a phone call..." understandably awkward, yes.  However, the Board's restrictions are detailed in a client document that every Prometric CBT Center has on site which should also be consistent with the Authorization to Test notice that was emailed to you (also available on Prometric web site) so if there are any issues with compliance, you can always request to be reviewed onsite with the client's (Board's) requirements document. 

"...can't cite a phone call..." understandably awkward, yes.  However, the Board's restrictions are detailed in a client document that every Prometric CBT Center has on site which should also be consistent with the Authorization to Test notice that was emailed to you (also available on Prometric web site) so if there are any issues with compliance, you can always request to be reviewed onsite with the client's (Board's) requirements document. 
Are you referring to the Candidate Information Bulletin that is linked in the ATT notice email? If so, I've read it before and the sheet protector question is unclear in the text- which is why I posted the question here to find out others' experience. Within that bulletin, under "Reference Materials" section, it is stated that "...reference materials must be bound and remain bound during the exam. Bound refers to material permanently bound by stitching or glue and materials fastened securely in its cover by fasteners, which penetrate all papers." To me there is no definite answer to my question in this text, and I'd expect the Prometric proctor to feel similarly. Therefore I am suggesting to err on the side of caution by bringing the puncher unless the Board updates the bulletin to shed light on the issue. 

PS: Thanks for your lightning-fast responses!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told in the 8-hour PE exam you couldn't bring sheet protectors. I wouldn't risk it. Why don't you laminate it instead? 

Are you referring to the Candidate Information Bulletin that is linked in the ATT notice email? If so, I've read it before and the sheet protector question is unclear in the text- which is why I posted the question here to find out others' experience. Within that bulletin, under "Reference Materials" section, it is stated that "...reference materials must be bound and remain bound during the exam. Bound refers to material permanently bound by stitching or glue and materials fastened securely in its cover by fasteners, which penetrate all papers." To me there is no definite answer to my question in this text, and I'd expect the Prometric proctor to feel similarly. Therefore I am suggesting to err on the side of caution by bringing the puncher unless the Board updates the bulletin to shed light on the issue. 

PS: Thanks for your lightning-fast responses!
Yes, that is what I was referring to.  I believe the materials (for both the California exams and the NCEES exams) also state that candidates cannot bring in any loose papers.  I sheet of paper in a plastic sleeve protector would most likely be considered as similar to a sheet of paper inserted into an inside pocket of the binder.  As others have stated, if its important for you to have with you, simply 3 hole punch the papers and put in a binder or include in a spiral bound document prior to arriving at the site.  You simply have too much other important things to prioritize on that day than worrying about punching holes in papers at the site.

I was told in the 8-hour PE exam you couldn't bring sheet protectors. I wouldn't risk it. Why don't you laminate it instead? 
I got a great reference material from a friend who previously took it and I honestly did not want to direct my energy to laminating that many sheets. I took the test recently and there were no problems though. Still brought a 3-hole puncher just in case...

Yes, that is what I was referring to.  I believe the materials (for both the California exams and the NCEES exams) also state that candidates cannot bring in any loose papers.  I sheet of paper in a plastic sleeve protector would most likely be considered as similar to a sheet of paper inserted into an inside pocket of the binder.  As others have stated, if its important for you to have with you, simply 3 hole punch the papers and put in a binder or include in a spiral bound document prior to arriving at the site.  You simply have too much other important things to prioritize on that day than worrying about punching holes in papers at the site.
There weren't any problems with it on test day, but in the future if I have to do it again (hopefully not haha) I wouldn't risk it. As you said it's one more thing to worry about.

Back