Engineer Boards
 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
Myph

Adding Credentials

2 hours ago, shmoe said:

Got mine... Do you show up on the roster search yet? 

1 hour ago, Jimbo Three said:

Not yet... I just paid the license fee.. Should be 48-72 hours afterwards.. I think the registration number they sent becomes our license number? I'm going to wait for that to be sure before ordering my stamp.

Was your registration number something like 52xxx? Then yeah, it'll become your license number. Might as well commit it to memory now.

I could find my name on the roster search the day after I paid, but for me the next day was a weekday. If you did it today you might have to wait until Monday? IIRC the expiration date was 2 years after the day that I paid the money. So you may already be licensed... but still wait until you see yourself in the database before you change your email sig, business cards, and buy a stamp.

• Like 1

George Washington Engineering Online Master's Programs
1 hour ago, RBHeadge PE said:

Was your registration number something like 52xxx? Then yeah, it'll become your license number. Might as well commit it to memory now.

I could find my name on the roster search the day after I paid, but for me the next day was a weekday. If you did it today you might have to wait until Monday? IIRC the expiration date was 2 years after the day that I paid the money. So you may already be licensed... but still wait until you see yourself in the database before you change your email sig, business cards, and buy a stamp.

Yep.. 52XXX series. I'll wait. I won't have to pay (at least, not as as much) for my stamp since I was one of the lucky winners of the giveaways from PE Stamps.com that was touted elsewhere.. 

• Like 1

What about updating you LinkedIn as a PE? Do you need to wait until your actual license is issued for that?

Adding credentials after your name is the pinnacle of all the work that was done to accomplish a long-awaited goal. Even on the engineerboards I've seen instances of premature PE usage.

There was someone that had the username "[username] PE".  They ended up not passing, and then they wanted to take off the "PE" portion of their name. I felt terrible for them. I forgot who it was, but I hope whoever you were you passed this time around, and you put that PE back at the end of your name right where it belongs! It's weird, I've been thinking about them (a person I've never met) since the test in April and pulling for them. This is why I like this community here. /END SAPPY STORY

12 minutes ago, GreenHulk said:

What about updating you LinkedIn as a PE? Do you need to wait until your actual license is issued for that?

Absolutely wait. You cannot represent yourself as a professional engineer without a license. Because the license hasn't been issued you as of yet, just don't even risk it. The difference between a couple days is not a big deal.

19 minutes ago, GreenHulk said:

Yes, LinkedIn is essentially advertising your services to the public so you especially want to wait there. It would however be a factual statement to say that you have passed the PPE exam and are awaiting license. But you might be disciplined soon anyway, so you might as well wait.

18 minutes ago, Snevah said:

Adding credentials after your name is the pinnacle of all the work that was done to accomplish a long-awaited goal. Even on the engineerboards I've seen instances of premature PE usage.

There was someone that had the username "[username] PE".  They ended up not passing, and then they wanted to take off the "PE" portion of their name. I felt terrible for them. I forgot who it was, but I hope whoever you were you passed this time around, and you put that PE back at the end of your name right where it belongs! It's weird, I've been thinking about them (a person I've never met) since the test in April and pulling for them. This is why I like this community here. /END SAPPY STORY

I mostly agree with the above statement. I don't really see the issue with people adding the PE after their username here after they pass the test but before getting license. No one is really offering their services to the public here so there is no misrepresentation per se. Plus no one is actually using their real identity in these forums anyway.

On 6/1/2018 at 5:38 PM, RBHeadge PE said:

Was your registration number something like 52xxx? Then yeah, it'll become your license number

Mine is a 43xxx, and when I search it, it comes up as EIT,  and under my maiden name. I think that's only the case for my because I took the FE in MD. I would have thought they would have given a new license number, rather than reused my EIT number.

Just now, shmoe said:

Mine is a 43xxx, and when I search it, it comes up as EIT,  and under my maiden name. I think that's only the case for my because I took the FE in MD. I would have thought they would have given a new license number, rather than reused my EIT number.

I know that some states recycle FE/PE numbers while some issue new numbers. I was an EIT in PA, PE in MD and lazily assumed it would be a new number. I guess Maryland recycles. Could be useful information for the next round of Maryland passers.

So they still don't have you in the system as a PE yet? When did you pay?

How about you @Jimbo Three, any progress?

19 minutes ago, RBHeadge PE said:

I mostly agree with the above statement. I don't really see the issue with people adding the PE after their username here after they pass the test but before getting license. No one is really offering their services to the public here so there is no misrepresentation per se. Plus no one is actually using their real identity in these forums anyway.

I think my feeling is more self-directed. It wouldn't have even crossed my mind to add PE to my username here before I passed the PE exam. Now if I would have joined after you better believe my name would have been "Snevah PE". But ultimately you are totally right, there is ZERO problem with someone adding it to a username before passing the PE. I mostly had sad feelings for "[username] PE" guy making the decision to take the "PE" off. I just hope he decides to (and can) put it back.

Long story short, I agree with you on the usernames etiquette... usernames here don't matter. 

Edited by Snevah

11 minutes ago, RBHeadge PE said:

I know that some states recycle FE/PE numbers while some issue new numbers. I was an EIT in PA, PE in MD and lazily assumed it would be a new number. I guess Maryland recycles. Could be useful information for the next round of Maryland passers.

So they still don't have you in the system as a PE yet? When did you pay?

How about you @Jimbo Three, any progress?

I paid on Friday afternoon, so I didn't expect any change until today. I'm curious about where @Jimbo Three is at too.

23 minutes ago, Snevah said:

I think my feeling is more self-directed. It wouldn't have even crossed my mind to add PE to my username here before I passed the PE exam. Now if I would have joined after you better believe my name would have been "Snevah PE". But ultimately you are totally right, there is ZERO problem with someone adding it to a username before passing the PE. I mostly had sad feelings for "[username] PE" guy making the decision to take the "PE" off. I just hope he decides to (and can) put it back.

Long story short, I agree with you on the usernames etiquette... usernames here don't matter. 

There's no legal problem with the "username PE" so long as they aren't offering their services. It probably shouldn't be done regardless because it diminishes the achievement for those who have passed.  

I can understand sympathy for the user that needed to change their name because they failed, but it took some chutzpah to add it prior to getting the results in the first place. They should change it back if they passed.

13 minutes ago, shmoe said:

I paid on Friday afternoon, so I didn't expect any change until today. I'm curious about where @Jimbo Three is at too.

Yeah, you may not notice any change until later this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

2 hours ago, RBHeadge PE said:

Yeah, you may not notice any change until later this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Update: Just got an email to download my license. Yep, license number is the same as my EIT number!

Still no change in the license lookup, but maybe that's slower to update

3 hours ago, shmoe said:

Update: Just got an email to download my license. Yep, license number is the same as my EIT number!

Congrats!!!!

7 hours ago, shmoe said:

Sorry for the late reply.. Long day today.. Yep, I'm official too! Received the email prompt to log in to the DLLR website to download a PDF of my license at about 2:30 pm today. Paid the licensing fee on Friday, so fairly prompt turnaround, IMHO. Printed it out all fancy schmancy (in color and everything). In a previous email from them they said the wall certificate would be mailed within four weeks.. Was still hoping to still attend the Maryland SPE awards night at some later date? Hopefully that still is in the works... Baltimore Engineer's Club looks like it's Da Bomb!!

5 hours ago, shmoe said:

Forgot to add that I showed up in the license lookup immediately after receiving the email from DLLR.. 

Can't wait to have fun with the nooobs this cycle 😈😈😈😈😈

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo Three said:

In a previous email from them they said the wall certificate would be mailed within four weeks.. Was still hoping to still attend the Maryland SPE awards night at some later date? Hopefully that still is in the works... Baltimore Engineer's Club looks like it's Da Bomb!!

Huh, that's news to me. Maybe they aren't doing the awards ceremony for new PEs anymore? Let my membership lapse and I've been out of the loop a couple years...  I went to their website and it doesn't look like that held a ceremony for the October 2018 test or at least in the usual March timeframe. I see something on their calendar on Sep 26 for the "Fall NLE Awards", which would be about when previous April exam certificates were awarded.

The club is a old money swanky place. They've filmed scenes from a few movies there because of its distinctive look. The first one that comes to mind is Twelve Monkeys.

2 hours ago, Jimbo Three said:

That's the spirit!

18 hours ago, Jimbo Three said:

Forgot to add that I showed up in the license lookup immediately after receiving the email from DLLR.. 

Wooo!

• Like 1

Don't forget to change your signature in emails and order new business cards!

1 hour ago, GreenHulk said:

Is it PE or P.E.?

I have seen it both ways.

54 minutes ago, GreenHulk said:

Thanks again!

When I asked the answer was either.  "P.E." is more old school and "PE" is a more modern.

I tend to follow what other fellow employee use for the designation to be somewhat consistent.

Everyone I deal with uses P.E.

so I tend to follow suit. Months from now when I finally get the license approved...

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.