Original NIght Stalker / Golden State Killer Caught!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
these type of stories are really intriguing (the "cold case" part) -  On the news it sounded like they used triangulated DNA to track this guy down through family members who were in the system - but didn't have his actual DNA "on file" somewhere - really crazy the technology is there to do that..

Hope this is the right guy and they can get a conviction.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/26/us/golden-state-killer-case-suspect/index.html

these type of stories are really intriguing (the "cold case" part) -  On the news it sounded like they used triangulated DNA to track this guy down through family members who were in the system - but didn't have his actual DNA "on file" somewhere - really crazy the technology is there to do that..

Hope this is the right guy and they can get a conviction.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/26/us/golden-state-killer-case-suspect/index.html
I'm torn on that 

It is pretty awesome, but at the same time its just more big brother finding more ways to analyze an ever growing database of data sets without your consent.  These things are always intended for the best, until they are not.

There was an article the other day about China and how its building the worlds largest facial recognition platform to combat crime.  Great, until they use it to further suppress dissenters.  A commenter was stating they can do this in part to all the "fun" apps that add filters to your social medial pictures.  They are using the facial structure you "donate" to build an associated database of names to pictures... (or some I'm told.  I don't use any of that!)

at the end of the day, idk... :)  

For better or for worse, privacy is no longer a given. Glad they apparently caught the guy after the case was cold for so long. I was reading that Patton Oswalt's wife did quite a bit of investigation into this case before she passed away, and DeAngelo's apprehension was in part thanks to her research. What a great legacy she got to leave behind.

I was reading that Patton Oswalt's wife did quite a bit of investigation into this case before she passed away,
Whoa, really?  Was that her hobby, or her career?

Back