MECHANICAL—THERMAL AND FLUID - April 2018 Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAR

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm wondering how you felt about the exam. For me, AM was Very Good and PM was moderate. It would be great if you can share your opinion. Thank you.

I thought the AM was much harder than the PM.  I feel like PM was a breeze other than a few off topic questions.

I definitely thought AM was easier than PM, but overall I felt both well right in line with the difficulty level of the NCEES practice exam. Slay the PE was definitely more difficult, but prepared me well. Felt pretty good about the exam overall, but this was my first time taking it so I'm not keeping my hopes too high in case my perception of my performance was way off.

I felt a lot better in the PM; for the AM I felt like it wasn't really hard, but somehow I ran out of time. Got stuck on a few questions and maybe spent 10+ mins on them, yikes.  

In my point of view, the AM is not really harder although it seemed harder than the PM because a handful of subjects I am not familiar with because I skipped studying two subjects where in the specs its like 6 questions for that subject but I was able to find them, but difficulty wise I think its the same. I spent more time in the AM because I had to open up MERM for the problems that I am not familiar with. 

PM seemed easier because I am well prepared for those subjects, every question in the PM I knew how to solve right away after reading the problem, but I did read it slowly and carefully so I don't need to review it even if I still had 1.5hrs to spare. Some I did read like 3-4 times before answering them coz it seemed so simple lol. I didn't know what to do with the spare time so I just left early. Up to today, never once I thought of failing that test. I'm trying to expect the worst but still I know even at worst case, I'm still over the passing mark. Maybe the test is a little bit harder than the EngProguide over all, just a tiny bit harder. I did 78/80 on EngProguide as a mock up that was like 1 week before the exam with 1.5hrs to spare in each AM and PM. 

In the real exam I thought I should get at least 75/80. Worst comes to worst a 65/80 but I highly doubt it, maybe 70/80. 

For me the PM part was like EngProGuide level difficulty, and the AM part was a little harder than EngProguide but some problems are even easier than the NCEES practice test. Do you guys agree? 

I feel like the minority here thinking the morning and afternoon were about the same difficulty. The PM was just slightly different and I am sure fatigue made it seem harder, but adjusted for fatigue, the material difficulty was nearly identical. I finished both in about 2.5 hours and the remainder of the time going back through catching dumb mistakes. There were about 2-3 on both that I couldn't get an answer. 

I like to think I passed given how comfortable I felt the entire time and the speed at which I finished. Time will tell

The MERM tables are OK. I like being able to flip through my own printed (on 11x17, freaking awesome!) steam tables while MERM is still open to the equation section.
I totally agree. I took the HVAC portion myself, had all the tables from my thermo book printed and in color. Fundamentals of Eng Thermo, 7th edition, steam tables are in color, one color for IP and another color for SI.

200w.webp

Back