Environmental Exam - APR 2017 - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
juliatx

Environmental Exam

Passed! I'm in TX so I got my passing score (80%). I'm pretty surprised considering the afternoon session was KILLER. Any other environmentals here?? Figured it might be helpful to future test takers if we post score and pass/fail.

Enviro here living in TX, but I took the exam in LA and they don't provide the score if you pass.  I'm not sure I want to know b/c I'm thinking it was a skin of my teeth situation. :) 

Hey there, fellow enviro in TX, congrats!  Great score.  I failed with a 63 :\  The air section killed me, so I know what i need to focus on!  

2 minutes ago, txjennah said:

Hey there, fellow enviro in TX, congrats!  Great score.  I failed with a 63 :\  The air section killed me, so I know what i need to focus on!  

I'm sure you'll pass next time!! And I completely agree - my job is entirely air-related and I found the air section on this test to be insanely difficult. Way harder than the practice tests I took.

6 minutes ago, juliatx said:

I'm sure you'll pass next time!! And I completely agree - my job is entirely air-related and I found the air section on this test to be insanely difficult. Way harder than the practice tests I took.

That honestly makes me feel a lot better!

enviro from MS here! i passed, my second time taking it, but MS doesn't provide us with a score. i agree about the afternoon session - walking out i thought for sure i had failed.

See the morning messed me up and left me feeling like I was not going to pass the exam if the afternoon was like that.  I skipped many and I was sort of defeated at lunch.  But then I felt the afternoon went much better!

I passed the environmental (took the exam in Nevada). I was a repeat taker. For those struggling with the air sections (I have zero experience working in that discipline and took one class as an undergrad which was over 5 years ago) the questions in the back of the Air Pollution Control book by Cooper and Alley are great. I highly recommend working through those, and going through the first few chapters that are PV=nRT etc and making a sheet that tells you exactly which version of the equation to use to get the exact units.

There are GREAT posts with past takers advice that I relied on heavily to acquire the best references and not have more than I needed. The Environmental forum was very quiet this round so I just self studied and hoped for the best.

16 minutes ago, lbeebe said:

I passed the environmental (took the exam in Nevada). I was a repeat taker. For those struggling with the air sections (I have zero experience working in that discipline and took one class as an undergrad which was over 5 years ago) the questions in the back of the Air Pollution Control book by Cooper and Alley are great. I highly recommend working through those, and going through the first few chapters that are PV=nRT etc and making a sheet that tells you exactly which version of the equation to use to get the exact units.

There are GREAT posts with past takers advice that I relied on heavily to acquire the best references and not have more than I needed. The Environmental forum was very quiet this round so I just self studied and hoped for the best.

Thanks so much for the good advice.  I'm in remediation so the air stuff was definitely out of my league! Last air class was in 2005...wishing I didn't sell my Cooper and Alley text afterward! Time to get it again for October.  

3 minutes ago, txjennah said:

Thanks so much for the good advice.  I'm in remediation so the air stuff was definitely out of my league! Last air class was in 2005...wishing I didn't sell my Cooper and Alley text afterward! Time to get it again for October.  

If you have any other subject area/reference material questions feel free to ask me when the time comes! I actually lucked out and live near the UC-Berkeley campus so I was able to pay for a university library card and utilized a majority of my references there, students these days apparently don't check out textbooks. Anyway, I studied REALLY hard my previous attempt and was really down that I didn't pass (got a 65), but I built on all that hard work and thankfully passed this time. You can do it-- you're not far off!

Enviro in MA.  Failed with 56/100 first time taking it this April. I mainly do air as well.  I had a rough morning session.  Did fine with wastewater questions 10 out of 10 correct but struggled with the other water topics and solid waste. Can anybody recommend a good solid waste reference?  I have Lagrega but didn'treally spend time a lot of time reading through it. I mainly used the EVRM during the exam and for studying. 

I mostly used my NC state notes for waste, but I don't know that the $400 for the online course is worth it just for that.

3 minutes ago, gjma716 said:

Enviro in MA.  Failed with 56/100 first time taking it this April. I mainly do air as well.  I had a rough morning session.  Did fine with wastewater questions 10 out of 10 correct but struggled with the other water topics and solid waste. Can anybody recommend a good solid waste reference?  I have Lagrega but didn'treally spend time a lot of time reading through it. I mainly used the EVRM during the exam and for studying. 

I had the lagrega and tried to spend some time reading it and at least tabbing it a bit since I struggled with solid waste last time. I don't think I had any other references bseides that and the EERM. My memory is lacking on the types of questions (quantitative vs qualitative?) that were on solid waste.

32 minutes ago, lbeebe said:

I had the lagrega and tried to spend some time reading it and at least tabbing it a bit since I struggled with solid waste last time. I don't think I had any other references bseides that and the EERM. My memory is lacking on the types of questions (quantitative vs qualitative?) that were on solid waste.

Thanks.  Wasn't sure if there was anything else out there.  Lagrega seems to be the main reference for that area. I will be reading and tabbing it this time though. 

I mostly used my NC state notes for waste, but I don't know that the $400 for the online course is worth it just for that.

I'll sell my NC dvds for 100 bucks !

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

I passed but PA doesn't give scores either. Used NC State DVDs and did School of PE.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

I took environmental and passed in NY!!! My focus is mainly water and wastewater so air and solid waste were my pitfalls last time I took the exam.  For air, the Cooper and Alley book is amazing!  For solid and hazwaste, the 2011 RCRA orientation manual came in very handy.  Soon I will post all of the reference textbooks I used.  I also made my own references from stuff I printed out from the internet.  I also made formula sheets, which probably helped me reinforce how to use equations.

Congratulations to everyone who passed! If you didn't pass this time, just dust yourself off and try again.  You will get it!!!

6 hours ago, lbeebe said:

If you have any other subject area/reference material questions feel free to ask me when the time comes! I actually lucked out and live near the UC-Berkeley campus so I was able to pay for a university library card and utilized a majority of my references there, students these days apparently don't check out textbooks. Anyway, I studied REALLY hard my previous attempt and was really down that I didn't pass (got a 65), but I built on all that hard work and thankfully passed this time. You can do it-- you're not far off!

1 hour ago, EnvMe said:

I took environmental and passed in NY!!! My focus is mainly water and wastewater so air and solid waste were my pitfalls last time I took the exam.  For air, the Cooper and Alley book is amazing!  For solid and hazwaste, the 2011 RCRA orientation manual came in very handy.  Soon I will post all of the reference textbooks I used.  I also made my own references from stuff I printed out from the internet.  I also made formula sheets, which probably helped me reinforce how to use equations.

Congratulations to everyone who passed! If you didn't pass this time, just dust yourself off and try again.  You will get it!!!

Thanks so much guys.  This is really helpful.  

Haha I'm so excited! Went to Half Price and discovered a trove of books! Probably from a new PE! Got Metcalf and Eddy for $5 and Cooper and Alley for $10, along with a couple of other references! These are older editions, but still! Can't beat the price.

30 minutes ago, trackerjacker said:

Score!  

Anyone else hated the EERM? 

Meeeeeeee.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is the best advice but it worked for me. I have close to zero experience in the air quality field. So I decided instead of stressing too hard and learning things from scratch I'll just make sure I master the water and solid waste portion of the exam. I had never taken the exam before but I used the ppi and ncees practice exams to study. Both were pretty tricky in my opinion. I ended up feeling like I aced the AM section and completely failied the PM. I must've guessed on 35 questions in the PM. Some how I came out with a Pass. 

So my advice is to make sure you master what you know. And have enough to make an educated guess on what you don't. 

I can add one other thing - I created an alphabetical index for the NCEES practice exam by what they were asking you to solve for.  Most of the actual exam questions were not exactly like the practice exam, but were close enough that being able to look at those while I worked the problems in the actual exam easily got me 4 or 5 answers (I'd guess).

@txjennah, if you want it, I'd be happy to scan that and send it to you.  Or maybe post somewhere.

16 hours ago, HaleySummer said:

I'm not sure if this is the best advice but it worked for me. I have close to zero experience in the air quality field. So I decided instead of stressing too hard and learning things from scratch I'll just make sure I master the water and solid waste portion of the exam. I had never taken the exam before but I used the ppi and ncees practice exams to study. Both were pretty tricky in my opinion. I ended up feeling like I aced the AM section and completely failied the PM. I must've guessed on 35 questions in the PM. Some how I came out with a Pass. 

So my advice is to make sure you master what you know. And have enough to make an educated guess on what you don't. 

I struggled in the Air and Solid Waste portion of the exam.  What reference did you use that was most beneficial for the Solid Waste portion?  I've taken the exam several times and have failed with scores in the low 50s/100 every time- so frustrating:(

On 5/26/2017 at 11:33 AM, gjma716 said:

Thanks.  Wasn't sure if there was anything else out there.  Lagrega seems to be the main reference for that area. I will be reading and tabbing it this time though. 

1 hour ago, timmer1026 said:

I struggled in the Air and Solid Waste portion of the exam.  What reference did you use that was most beneficial for the Solid Waste portion?  I've taken the exam several times and have failed with scores in the low 50s/100 every time- so frustrating:(

I did some more looking through my notes/reference list. In addition to Lagrega, I also had Kuo Practical Design Calculations for Groundwater and Soil Remediation. It's a small text, but if you need to brush up on some C=C0e-kt (and other reaction rate type problems it was helpful in that regard, but I don't remember needing to look anything up during the actual exam in there).

There are many recommendations for the Salvato Environmental Engineering book(s) in the Environmental forum. It does have some more obscure information compared to other references. I used them to verify a few of the qualitative questions I wasn't 100% sure on. The latest edition is 3 separate books. Not sure it would be worth the investment, but I did get some good reading out of that one that helped me as a reference during the exam.

Overall I think the biggest thing is familiarity with your references. The exam is so broad that if you haven't spent quality time with a book it probably isn't going to be too beneficial. As important as working through problems, just taking the time to READ through references was highly beneficial for me. I felt like I had nailed most of the qualitative problems my previous attempt and was breezing through problems when I started studying for April. I read through nearly all of the Davis & Cornwell book (and did any practice problems w solutions), skimmed Legraga and Salvato, worked through a lot of Kuo and the Air Pollution Control by Cooper & Alley. I put in A LOT of time for the October 2016 exam attempt and felt at a total loss for what to do this time and doubted if I could pass based on self-study, but IT IS POSSIBLE! My secondary focus outside of reading texts was drilling SPEED, when I did a run through of the NCEES practice exam, I got somewhere around 80 right but more importantly I was able to get through it in about 2.5-3 hours per session (granted I had worked the problems previously), but time management is a huge component I felt I struggled with previously. I took a majority of the time during the real exam but I didn't feel rushed.

Sorry for the long write-up. I know the frustrations of not passing and just want to try to give some encouragement and guidance to others.