Mechanical Systems and Materials PE exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iramsey

Reaction score
Has anybody here taken mechanical systems and materials exam last week? I am curious if you thought the exam was easy or difficult. 

I took it for the 3rd time last week and thought it was easier for me this time around compared to the other 2 times. I don't feel like I guessed at all on the PM session. 

Felt really good about the morning only 2 problems I wasn't sure on.   Afternoon was a little tougher but still felt good after it.  Had about twenty minutes to spare on both to go back and check my work.  Probably put in 300 hours of studying since mid-August(including review course).

I felt very similar about the exam. Finished both sessions with at least 40 minutes to spare. Is our discipline easier than others? 

I took the april 15 and october 15 exams....it seems that this exam was much easier. I don't know if I was more prepped or if it was easier.

From a conservative standpoint, I'm guessing 26 in the morning and 23 in the afternoon.

I took the april 15 and october 15 exams....it seems that this exam was much easier. I don't know if I was more prepped or if it was easier.

From a conservative standpoint, I'm guessing 26 in the morning and 23 in the afternoon.
Can I ask what you got in April? If conservatively you still have a failing score this time, yet it was much easier, well......I'm not sure that what you say makes sense to me 

I got 67% in April and 43 questions right. Texas gives percentage.

How you do you figure 49 is a failing score? Because it's not 70% of 80 questions?

I got 67% in April and 43 questions right. Texas gives percentage.

How you do you figure 49 is a failing score? Because it's not 70% of 80 questions?
How would you think 49/80 isn't failing? I know this cut score thing is pretty much a mystery but I think the conversation starts above 50, minimum. If a raw percentage near 60% is passing, the PE exam is pretty worthless, in my mind 

Think about it....I was given a grade of 67 and I got 43 answer correct.
If a 70% is a passing score, then sure I can see how a 49/80 is passing. I have very little knowledge about scores so I really don't know. But it just seems from other threads that guesses at passing scores are higher

No doubt civil scores have shown to be higher. We're talking about mechanical systems only in this thread....which is lower typically. Maybe because mechanical is such a broad discipline so it's a little more difficult to know it all.

Back