How important is the asphalt handbook and the guide for the pedestrian facilities?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xavierdlt1982

Reaction score
good morning guys, from the list of reference material needed for the exam I am missing those two standards (Asphalt and pedestrian facilities).

I was wondering how important they are for the exam. Thanks in advance for the help.

You need to look at the exam outline, determine how many questions might come from a given reference, and decide for yourself - taking into consideration cost, review time, possible alternate sources, etc. 

I actually skipped all of the asphalt and concrete books (4, I believe?).  I am not suggesting it or recommending it, I am just letting you know that the asph/conc books weren't necessary for me to pass.  It's all a big blur now but I believe the few asphalt questions I received were answerable with the CERM. 

The AASHTO GPDOPF was not a reference when I took the exam.  In looking at the Transpo depth exam outline, it looks like there might be 1, maybe 2, ADA questions that might come from the GPDOPF?  So, it's up to you. 

https://cdn.ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Civ-Tran-April-2015-1_Combined.rev1_.pdf

thanks for the advice ptatohed. I will keep looking for the references but still plenty of time to take a decision.

I would get the MEPDG before any of the older paving books.

The Ped Book I would want as well

Not suggesting to 'skip' any references, but for the sake of more info to make your decision...

All of the ped questions were capacity related and could be answered out of the HCM.  You will need the asphalt book if you want to correctly answer the 'definition' question they throw on.

Took PE in Oct. 15 and didn't pass...

In my opinion all reference material who KNOW how to use - take with you, otherwise, don't bother.

Guide for the pedestrian facilities helped me to answer 2 questions, the asphalt handbook - I didn't have it and honestly I don't think it would of been any help for me on the exam.

Back