professional associations

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt267 PE

"1000000 warning points" Club Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what others think about professional associations. Are they worth the membership fee? Are the publications worth reading? Are the meetings worth attending? Are they worth listing on a Resume? Networking, job opportunities, etc.

My state doesn't require continuing educations so I won't need that service from a group.

The three that I've been considering are either: NSPE (with local chapter), ASCE (with local chapter if available), or AAEES (American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists).

Last edited by a moderator:
NSPE and IEEE are excellent IMO.  Great networking tools and generally offer other alternatives for PDH opportunities.  And often times, at least in the private sector :p  , work pays the membership fees. :thumbs:

And correction, your state doesn't require CE YET.  All states are quickly moving to that sooner rather than later, it's only a matter of time.

The cost would be on me. I can't see my employer paying.

I suppose it's only a matter of time before we're required to do CEU's. But I think there's enough opposition to keep it from happening anytime soon. 

You don't know until you ask.  My previous company I said the same thing, until I asked and my boss said something like "pfft....that's nothing, expense it". :thumbs:

Opposition has very little to do with it IMO.  It's about conforming to a national standard.  More and more will be falling into line.  Just sayin'.

NSPE has been worth it so far.  Like Fox said, they offer 15 free PDHs to members.  Personally I've found ASME to be absolutely useless.  So far my Tau Beta Pi membership has been the best since I get a discount with Geico insurance for being a member  :DV:

NSPE has been worth it so far.  Like Fox said, they offer 15 free PDHs to members.  Personally I've found ASME to be absolutely useless.  So far my Tau Beta Pi membership has been the best since I get a discount with Geico insurance for being a member  :DV:
Ram, is the auto insurance discount significant?   I forgot we get that. 

Are the membership fees for these organizations tax deductible?

Just now, Ship Wreck PE said:

Yes, but it is cheaper to get boss to pay for.
That's not going to happen. They don't cover any expenses concerning the PE either. Exam fees and the licensing fee were all out of pocket.
You need to be boss.

Take their job. Then embezzle the funds directly.

+1 for NSPE. I went to the meeting in Seattle this year and it was a good time. I've also been thinking about joining the IES lately. Their airfield lighting conference was in town this year, so I went. That was just as good as NSPE and more relevant to my interests, me being an electrical guy.

+1 for NSPE. I went to the meeting in Seattle this year and it was a good time. I've also been thinking about joining the IES lately. Their airfield lighting conference was in town this year, so I went. That was just as good as NSPE and more relevant to my interests, me being an electrical guy.
I'm thinking I'm going to go with NSPE. The local chapter seems to have a few events through out the year that I could get involved in. ASCE doesn't seem active in my state.

That's not going to happen. They don't cover any expenses concerning the PE either. Exam fees and the licensing fee were all out of pocket.
You previously indicated that you hadn't even asked.  And if you don't ask, then obviously the answer will always be no.  

Let me check and get back to you about the discount P-E.  Got an email from NSPE today that had a link to Geico also so there may be a discount for that also.  Companies are typically loathe to apply multiple discounts though but worth a try.

1 hour ago, matt267 PE said:

You previously indicated that you hadn't even asked.  And if you don't ask, then obviously the answer will always be no.  
Exactly my point.

I went to a convention in las Vegas and in Toronto both times I just asked and they bought wife's plane tickets also.

Back