Steel Type in AISC Steel Construction Manual

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rejectedbytexas

Reaction score
Is anywhere in the CERM showing the self-weight and other properties of W??*?? (e.g. W12*72) Steel? What does it mean?

I know the questions are fundamental and stupid, but am really struggling with this while learning myself. Also, I don't want to bring the AISC Steel Construction Manual as a Transportation exam taker...

Please advise. Thanks!

Sammy

There were none that I can recall, but since I was taking the structural portion; I had the AISC Manual. I don't recall needing it to look up beam properties though.

A W12x72 is approximately 12" tall (12.3 per manual) and weighs 72 lb/ft. The second number will always be the weight per foot and the first is the typical height.

Good luck with your studies.

Is anywhere in the CERM showing the self-weight and other properties of W??*?? (e.g. W12*72) Steel? What does it mean?

I know the questions are fundamental and stupid, but am really struggling with this while learning myself. Also, I don't want to bring the AISC Steel Construction Manual as a Transportation exam taker...

Please advise. Thanks!

Sammy

Sammy,

In my old 10th edition CERM, on page 58-2 there is a section titled "Structural Shapes" and it gives an example of a W 30 x 132 designation and states that it "refers to a W-shape with an overall depth of approximately 30 in that weighs 132 lbf/ft." Does that answer your question?

Also, please note, no standards at all, for any of the 5 AM disciplines, should be required.

Thanks, ptatohed, for being always helpful.

You answered my question.

Please advise. Thanks!

Sammy
Sammy,

In my old 10th edition CERM, on page 58-2 there is a section titled "Structural Shapes" and it gives an example of a W 30 x 132 designation and states that it "refers to a W-shape with an overall depth of approximately 30 in that weighs 132 lbf/ft." Does that answer your question?

Also, please note, no standards at all, for any of the 5 AM disciplines, should be required.

Thank you, blybrook PE. Really helpful!

There were none that I can recall, but since I was taking the structural portion; I had the AISC Manual. I don't recall needing it to look up beam properties though.

A W12x72 is approximately 12" tall (12.3 per manual) and weighs 72 lb/ft. The second number will always be the weight per foot and the first is the typical height.

Good luck with your studies.

Latest posts

Back